WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TYPE OF OLIVE?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kimmit, May 8, 2013.

1. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    I have jut discovered gordal olives, and am hooked!  We also ate some smallish, very bright green olives at a restaurant the other night.  The colour was almost artificial it was so green.  Any ideas as to what they might be?  I am not really a fan of the black olives we get here in France.  It is kalamata or nothing if I eat black olives. 

2. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    My favorite is Gaeta olives, sort of smallish, soft, very very tasty, and great in cooking (and to remove the stone you just have to press hard with your thumb and the stone separates from the flesh.) 

3. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gordals are the ones you get folk to try when they say they don't like olives. They are superb. Even my M.I.L that hates olives off hand, loves Gordals. My best friend was embarrassingly ecstatic when she had her first.

Would you agree that they are really meaty? and not like any other olive you ever tasted?

WARNING....not all Gordals are good. Get them from the deli or, if in Spain (south east where they come from), there's a big jar u can get at the supermarket with other veges in there that are truly gorgeous. The ones one their own, not so good.

So far in France there is nothing to compare.  In fact, so far in France I'm  really struggling with olives. A major glitch in our culinary experience.

I would love this thread to go well and last a long time so we could all learn about olives, 'cos i so want to. Thanks for the thread kimmit

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I know my wife's favorite - the black ones from the can.  She won't touch any others.  Sometimes I have to help her out with her salads at restaurants.

Have you ever tasted an olive right off the tree?

mjb.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. countrykook

countrykook

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    kalamata

kimmit likes this.
  6. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yeah, brrrrrr!  Have you?   I have a tree on my terrace, and it sometimes makes olives - one year we tried curing them with salt water, changing daily for a month.  It took a month to make them edible! 

7. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    nope, never had one straight off the tree, but I believe it is not something wonderful to experience!  

8. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    bughut, the only ones I find I can eat in France, are green, in a tin and stuffed with anchovies.  But now that I have found gordal olives, I am going to buy them online!  

9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Kimmit,

Have you tried a Spanish grocery store ? Most places sell them. I buy them for 2.25 a can.

10. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    Petals, where I live in France, (Cote d'Or) it is rural and the shops around us sell only French produce.  I am mostly very satisfied, but sometimes I find something I really really like, and can't get here, and then I order it online. 

11. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    An anchovy stuffed olive is one of several possibilities for a perfect martini.

BDL

kimmit likes this.
  12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It is one of those things that makes you wonder how they ever came to be considered edible.

mjb.

13. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    november 2011 we rented a place in Vera Spain for a fortnight and the olive harvest happened while we were there. All the Fincas had their own trees and took it in turn to help each other out to get enough of a crop to warrant an organic co-op pressing. 

We helped out now n again combing the trees and were invited along to join the convoy up to the mountains to the local press. All the olives were deposited and weighed and off we all went into the village for coffee while they were pressed.

The barrels of oil were loaded onto one truck and shared out when we got back to base. The new oil was ferocious. hit the back of your throat like sandpaper, but you had to give it a go. Later we all got drunk and ate last years oil with bread, caper berries and the most outstanding Iberico ham. Great memory.

I did eat one straight off the tree. Its incredible to think that that nasty wee thing could eventually taste sublime. 

kimmit likes this.
  14. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    kimmit, have you tried French olive oil? any you would recommend? So far im sticking to Italian old faithfuls. We're much farther north than you and no olive groves. Just field after field of maize. All those corn cobs and we cant eat them cos they're for animal feed and even if you tried to boil em they will never soften...So I'm told... but you know i'm gonna have to try anyway.

15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Haven't met an olive I didn't like, I buy large jars of cheap green olives for my salads and the better ones from the deli for snacking.

kimmit likes this.
  16. kimmit

kimmit

Exp:
    Other
    bughut, I tried some french olive oil for the first time a few weeks ago.  To be honest, I prefer the Spanish or Italian.  It almost tasted like it was mixed with something.  I didn't like the taste. 

17. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    kimmit likes this.