What is your favorite off the shelf BBQ Sauce

Joined Jul 30, 2007
good idea ky... yeah i was gonna suggest a new thread as well, but thought i could just sneak in and out real quick without being spotted,...okay,you go first...you start....

joey

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I used to make my own but now there are so many good ones out there its unbelievable. Uusally keep 6 to 10 different bottles at any given time and like to blend mix and match for my tastes. The only thing I dont like about most of them is the liquid smoke, that stuff is horrible.

Dont know there is any "ONE" sauce for everything, like good wines each meat and or dish may be better with a certain sauce, just me maybe.

Sweet baby's is one very good all arounder but I hardly ever use any one sauce on its own, I always have to doctor them to my likes and preferences.

Current favorite and very hard to beat by any other sauce imo are the two sauces from "Blues Hog", they make three sauces that I find locally.

1. Tennessee Red,  (red label) a very runny sauce with vinegar and a good bite. Let me say that I have never ever liked a vinegar based sauce but this one is incredible, sweet, spicy and delicious.

2. Original, A very good out of the jar sauce for sweet type meats like ribs or pork shoulder ect. Lots of brown sugar flavor and just a mouthful of wonderful imo.

3. Mustard type sauce, me no likey, that is all.

Mix the Red and the Original and its heavenly music to your taste buds. To tone down the Red mix it 50 50 with the original and you have a awesome sauce too.

I usually add a little honey and more brown sugar to the red, i love honey in all my sauces, my preference. Also add a lot of brown sugar to the red if you like the vinegar but want the sugar flavor with the vinegar.

All that said I usually dont use much sauce with my food persoanlly other than on the ribs, good que should need to be drowned in sauce, it should be a side imo, course I'm from Texas ya know.

Usually just use it alot in contests.

Cheers!

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm four hours south of you in the Rio Grande Valley.

The Bill Millers there are hit or miss but mostly just ok.

When in San Antonio I like to go to Texas Pride BBQ. Used to be there every week but havent been there in three years now. They are located a couple miles south of i-10 on loop 1604, look them up online for exact distances. Tried alot of places in that town and that was my favorite as they were always very consistent and good. They have apperently grown alot thoufgh and have even been featured on TV Food Network as one of the best places in the State/Country.

Joined Aug 6, 2010
I'm four hours south of you in the Rio Grande Valley.

The Bill Millers there are hit or miss but mostly just ok.

When in San Antonio I like to go to Texas Pride BBQ. Used to be there every week but havent been there in three years now. They are located a couple miles south of i-10 on loop 1604, look them up online for exact distances. Tried alot of places in that town and that was my favorite as they were always very consistent and good. They have apperently grown alot thoufgh and have even been featured on TV Food Network as one of the best places in the State/Country.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Let the thread resume...

Joined Oct 28, 2010
I like Cattleman's, personally. Has just the right amount of sweetness and tanginess for me. If I want something a tad different, I'll just use cattleman's as a base and flavor it slightly. Only bbq sauce I really like to make is a coca cola bbq- i use coke syrup and apple sauce to make a syrup, but I still usually finish it with cattleman's. 

Joined Oct 21, 2010
I usually get whatever is cheap and doesn't contain HFCS. I used to use KC Masterpiece all the time but believe I stopped due to the presence of HFCS. Anymore I really just use a mix of dark soy, worstechire, and rice vinegar, sometimes add a bit of molasses and let it warm a bit to reduce and blend in better.

Yeah I make a point to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup also. Whoever tells you that HFCS are just corn sugar are deluding themselves and have not taken the time to do the research. 

And to the "Everything in moderation" argument....would you eat poison in moderation? Surely not.

Not to mention HFCs are in everything. They are in bread, soda, hamburgers, cereal, candy bars and the list goes on and on. 

There is no "hype" involved. If that is even remotely your belief, you are not making an informed opinion.

All sugars are not created equal and fructose is no different. Take the time to do some research, look at the studies, look at scientists work who have studied this for years and use common sense.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Thanks for all the great feeback everyone!

Joined Dec 20, 2008
[quote name="JRock645" url="/forum/thread/62590/what-is-your-favorite-off-the-shelf-bbq-sauce#post_328721"]
I like Cattleman's, personally. Has just the right amount of sweetness and tanginess for me. If I want something a tad different, I'll just use cattleman's as a base and flavor it slightly. Only bbq sauce I really like to make is a coca cola bbq- i use coke syrup and apple sauce to make a syrup, but I still usually finish it with cattleman's. 
[/quote]

I'm with you JRock, Cattlemans advertise that 80% commercial restaurants use it, I know in the Cardroom-bar-restaurant I managed it was in the kitchen and used, I have checked withe some other friends restaurants, and confirmed they use Cattlemans. I'm not saying it is the best, but as JRock says it is a good base. Depending what I am going to sauce I use honey for sweeter and Franks wing sauce hotter, I've mixed it with a tropical sweet sour sauce for dipping sauce, and other stuff to mix up the flavors. At a BBQ last years July 4the family BBQ (I do all the cookin) for 30+ people, one of my sis friends who works in the food industry, unknown to me brought the local newspaper restaurant critique. She paid me the ultimate compliment, and didn't say it to me she said to my sis friend's wife, the bbq sauce and ribs were some of that best she ever had, it was relayed to me through my niece, I was happily surprised.

Latest posts

Top Bottom