What is your favorite Americana Comfort dish?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefjohnpaul, Nov 17, 2001.

1. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK, here we go again.... I think we all are so into the cuisine that it's fun revealing the 'down home' side of ourselves.

What is your fav when it comes to the types of dishes you'd find in like the Joy of Cooking? You know, the lime Jell-O with the carrot shreds and Miracle Whip on top, the casseroles....
    ......Americana. The CIA Professional Chef (1972 series) is full of these recipes.

I like Swiss Steak (machine tenderized bottom round) braised fork tender and smothered in onions. I also like pork or veal cutlets, and chicken fried steak with country gravy. Lots of mashed potatoes, please! Oh, and finish it up with yellow cake with chocolate frosting and vanilla ice cream, YUM!:bounce:

2. elsie

elsie

I second the chicken fried steak with gravy. Also, mashed potatoes, meat loaf, and macaroni & cheese. Mmmmmmm. Oh, and chicken soup!

Elsie

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    If you limit the list to "American" I have to agree with mashed potatoes (french fries, too!) and oh yeah! mac & cheese. Just so long as they are well-seasoned. Bland is banned.

But when I want both comfort AND uplift, I go with soupy, SPICY Malaysian curried chicken over udon, that combines the softish-yet-chewy slithery noodles, and the excitement of heat. Love that dose of endorphins!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah plus AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH! Either way, makes me feel a lot better.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My Moms braised beef brisket with mashed potatoes and pan gravey.

I love all the crusty corners of mac& Cheese.

oatmeal cookies and fried chicken

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It's gotta be fried chicken.

Although N.E. Clam chowder runs a close second.

6. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes, let's not just limit it to Americana, every culture has it's comfort foods. I love blanquette of pork or veal and there is this screamin' Lebonese dish of lamb shanks stewed in lots of garlic and yogurt served over a pilaf of bulghar wheat.......pass the breath mints on this one!

7. kimmie

kimmie

Ha Ha Ha, what about a whole bunch of parsley, ChefJeanPaul!

I could go for Southern Fried Chicken, Mashed and Slaw...right now! :lips:

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Cape Chef, the crust and corners of well-browned mac and cheese (made with sharp cheddar) are da bomb! Since this thread said to mention American foods, I'll have to leave out my all-time fave, matzo ball soup.

9. seattledeb

seattledeb

Macaroni and Cheese esp from Mrs Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah

10. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I sense a consensus here: Mac & Cheese Rocks! Can we start sharing recipes, or at least what we each do to make it our own?

Since my household goes for spicy, I start by sweating chopped onions in the butter. Then I add dry mustard and cayenne along with the flour, and then a healthy slug each of Tabasco and Worcestershire, and some cream cheese, after it has thickened. Cheese is a combination of extra sharp cheddar (a constant) plus whatever else I have on hand, mixed into the bechamel off the heat. I save some of the shredded cheese for the top, of course, but always sprinkle a final layer of crushed Cheezits. Needless to say, I dare not make this too often. How do others make it?

11. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yep! Macaroni and cheese made from Amish cheddar -- for some reason it tastes the best when made in my Grandma's yellow Pyrex bowl.

My Aunt's sweet rolls -- an every Christmas thing -- since we're not going to PA this year, I guesdd I have to make them.....

REAL Italian sausage -- getting harder and harder to find -- just spicy enough -- in our family, it always gets served with the mac and cheese....

"Burger Bundles" one of those better homes and gardens recipes from the 70a\s that became a family favourite....

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    meatloaf with gloppy red sauce, mashed potatoes and green beans....for lunch a meatlof sandwich on white bread with mayo and red sauce.

Pudding...I'm making banana today....love butterscotch and chocolate

Split pea soup with bits of ham....again on my stove as I type
    I'm going to make yeast rolls to go with it....

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In an issue of Art Culinare they did a few pages about mac & Cheese, Although I don't think anyone would reconize these :)

Mac & cheese with Ozark ham
    seared foie gras with porcini mac & cheese
    Truffles ftuffed with mac & cheese (for those of us on a budget)
    Clay baked wagon wheels with wild ripened muscoot (rattle snake)
    sweet maine lobster mac & cheese.

What ever happened to kraft? although my girls prefere "annie shells"
    cc

14. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I love a good beef stew with a buttermilk biscuit on a cold winters night.:lips:

15. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A big bowl of Chili Mac (Chili & Macaroni) baked with lots of
    cheddar cheese and a slab of jalepeno cornbread.:cool:

16. marzipan

marzipan

hmm.. chicken fried steak & biscuts with an enormous bowl of sawmill gravy. (i had the best sawmill gravy i've ever had in my life at a tiny little struckstop outside of shreveport, louisiana).

sweet potato casserole made with canned sweet 'taters, orange juice, crushed pineapple, and marshmellows.

or, when i'm cranky and have PMS... take me to the nearest Steak-n-Shake and feed me a double steakburger with relish, mustard, and pickles, a large order of cheese fries, and a vanilla shake.

17. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Steak and Shake burgers!!! A remembrance of my college years. They opened their first place in a little spot right on the border between Normal and Bloomington, IL. Rarely do you find places that use FRESH meat and know how to carmelize it just right so it's juicy and crisp at the same time. Dash on some raw onions, sploch on some mustard, and I'm ready to TAKEHOMEASACK!