What is this on the underside of my gas oven?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by kilojkilo, Oct 10, 2012.

  1. kilojkilo

    kilojkilo

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's directly above the pilot light on the bottom side of the bottom shelf of my gas oven so I would assume it is some sort of gas 'deposit', but I have no real idea. Is it dangerous? Should I try to get it off?





    Thanks anyone for any information.
     
  2. 808jono202

    808jono202

    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    19
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks more crystalline, kind of odd. Are you boiling a lot of saltwater? Is there any chance you spilled salt water all over and it has evaporated leaving salt crystals? It could be some funky mold or something, but I have no idea.

    Should you get it off? Well, I would error on the side of caution and clean the hell out of it.
     
  3. chefedb

    chefedb

    Messages:
    5,516
    Likes Received:
    177
    Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Is it hard or soft?
     
  4. brianshaw

    brianshaw

    Messages:
    3,172
    Likes Received:
    379
    Exp:
    Former Chef
    What kind of gas - natural or propane?
     
  5. brianshaw

    brianshaw

    Messages:
    3,172
    Likes Received:
    379
    Exp:
    Former Chef
    p.s.  I would clean it off too.
     
  6. kilojkilo

    kilojkilo

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you for your replies. It is natural gas. I would like to reiterate that it is on the under side of the bottom floor of my oven. I took it out to clean some burnt on food stains and when I flipped it over I saw that. I noticed it was right above the pilot light that lights the bottom gas element for the broiler/oven, so it's clearly a side effect of the natural gas pilot light. I do not know if it is soft or hard as I did not attempt to touch it or scrape it due to paranoia of releasing something that might be noxious.
     
  7. chefedb

    chefedb

    Messages:
    5,516
    Likes Received:
    177
    Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Can't help you then. Why be afraid of it you are already inhaling it daily.?
     
  8. brianshaw

    brianshaw

    Messages:
    3,172
    Likes Received:
    379
    Exp:
    Former Chef
    I've seen similar on a natural gas pilot, but never quite to the extent you depict.  I always assumed that it was the result of contaminants (water, I assumed) in the natural gas.  Although pressure regulated there is no filtration on natural gas coming into my home.  I cleaned it off by rubbing with an abrasive scrubber -- it came off easily.  If it was toxic I never noticed and I'm still here to tell the story.  I you are still concerned why not call your gas company; I'm sure they will have someone who can address your question and health concern.
     
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. brianshaw

    brianshaw

    Messages:
    3,172
    Likes Received:
    379
    Exp:
    Former Chef
    p.s.  the crystalization of whatever mineral deposit that is is quite pretty.  Thanks for sharing the picture!
     
  10. kilojkilo

    kilojkilo

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Great, will do. Thanks!