What is this on the underside of my gas oven?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by kilojkilo, Oct 10, 2012.

1. kilojkilo

kilojkilo

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's directly above the pilot light on the bottom side of the bottom shelf of my gas oven so I would assume it is some sort of gas 'deposit', but I have no real idea. Is it dangerous? Should I try to get it off?

Thanks anyone for any information.

2. 808jono202

808jono202

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks more crystalline, kind of odd. Are you boiling a lot of saltwater? Is there any chance you spilled salt water all over and it has evaporated leaving salt crystals? It could be some funky mold or something, but I have no idea.

Should you get it off? Well, I would error on the side of caution and clean the hell out of it.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Is it hard or soft?

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What kind of gas - natural or propane?

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    p.s.  I would clean it off too.

6. kilojkilo

kilojkilo

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you for your replies. It is natural gas. I would like to reiterate that it is on the under side of the bottom floor of my oven. I took it out to clean some burnt on food stains and when I flipped it over I saw that. I noticed it was right above the pilot light that lights the bottom gas element for the broiler/oven, so it's clearly a side effect of the natural gas pilot light. I do not know if it is soft or hard as I did not attempt to touch it or scrape it due to paranoia of releasing something that might be noxious.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Can't help you then. Why be afraid of it you are already inhaling it daily.?

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I've seen similar on a natural gas pilot, but never quite to the extent you depict.  I always assumed that it was the result of contaminants (water, I assumed) in the natural gas.  Although pressure regulated there is no filtration on natural gas coming into my home.  I cleaned it off by rubbing with an abrasive scrubber -- it came off easily.  If it was toxic I never noticed and I'm still here to tell the story.  I you are still concerned why not call your gas company; I'm sure they will have someone who can address your question and health concern.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    p.s.  the crystalization of whatever mineral deposit that is is quite pretty.  Thanks for sharing the picture!

10. kilojkilo

kilojkilo

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Great, will do. Thanks!