What is this kitchen tool/item?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by stevan, Jan 9, 2016.

1. stevan

stevan

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hi all,

I have again received a surprise gift, but this time I have no idea what it is :)

I guess it's used for making sauces over indirect heat, but it's a bit bigger then a standard sauce pan.

I'm sure some of you have already seen and used something like this - please share your wisdom:

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Not sure but I am guessing for drawn butter for lobster or crab?

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The first thing that came to me was like Nicko. Dipping something. I think it was actually a signature type thing of a restaurant. As a kid I think I remember that. Must have been a restaurant in NYC.

4. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Theres no lid to it, right? 

5. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I"m going to guess it's an insert for making hollandaise over a water bath. 

You know, this could be a fun section on this website. If I can find my camera, I'll post a pic of something I have. I know what it is but I'm not sure anyone else will. 

6. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    I'd call that a good guess--makes perfect sense. Looks quite handy for that actually. 

Hey maybe we should form a 4 member panel, they all get emailed the photo, and tell us what it is, but only one

is the correct response. Who ever picks the right panel member's bullshi....er explanation, wins that round.

Sound a bit like Liar's Club does it? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif,

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. stevan

stevan

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Right, no lid.

Making Hollandaise and similar was my guess too, I guess that's what I'll be using it for as well.

The edge looks kind of impractically broad, though - I thought about melting some chocolate in it but I imagine half of it would remain stuck on the way from the bottom to the edge and require scraping.

We'll see, I'll let you guys know how it works.

Thanks everyone!

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My first impression was an insert pan as well, but the more I thought about it, the handle precludes that possibility. My second line of crap shoot thought is a fondue pan with the wide edge being used for resting the skewers on, but I ain't sold on that either.

[​IMG]  

9. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Are there any markings on the bottom?

10. stevan

stevan

Exp:
    Home Chef
    No, Cerise, nothing :/

11. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My wife suggests it looks like the pee can from under the bed when she was a child.  She grew up in the country.

12. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd have surmised a chafing dish of some sort. Maybe a grease drip pan from a high end grill? 

13. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    A sommelier's tasting cup for heavy drinkers? :beer:

14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Golly... I thought the same thing but was afraid to write it. Please thank your wife for me!

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    How big is that vessel?  Place a ruler next to it so that we can get some sort of relative scale.  It appears to be an egg poacher.

Yours truly,

-The Third Eye

16. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Agreed, we need some scale or measurements.

But assuming its large enough, I would definitely consider it ideal for use it over water

in making egg emulsion sauces. Its wide rim would easily fit over multiple sauce

pan sizes, while its rounded bottom would keep everything down, centered and heating

evenly, eliminating that pesky step of constantly scraping the sides with the whip.

The only problem I see is the handle placement--it may get in the way as an insert. 

Now maybe it really IS a left handed smoke bender....but I would still try it 

to see if it works.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  17. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hmmmm. ... Sides are to "straight" to aid with whisking anything, and that huuuge lip doesn't make sense to me. Spitoon, bed pan might work, but hey! This is a cooking forum.

The Germans have this crazy drink called "Feurzangenbowle", or flambed rum drink. Might have something to do with that.....

18. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ??????????????????????  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

19. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Kokopuffs- In my experience a left handed smoke bender was a fictional object that older Boy Scouts would send younger scouts out to find at jamborees, sending them from camp to camp. Also known as a smoke shifter, typically blue handled. A bit of harmless diversion while sleeping on the ground away from home.  I suspect Meez was a Scout. 

20. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016