What is this cooking method for Rice?

Joined Jan 17, 2016
This is something a friend of mine does this and it results in a really nutty, flavorful rice, but He has no idea what it actually is he's doing, and I can't find anything on google.
Does anyone know what it is? What he does is;

First, He heats up a bit of oil in a pan or pot on high heat and adds some garlic, onion and a few other spices. After its heated up, He puts in a cup of RAW rice. He then begins to toast the rice, dry, until they are brown, stirring often so it doesn't burn.
After its fully toasted, he turns the heat down to simmering and adds Cold water (Probably not to good for the pan, honestly, bwhahahaha!). This causes the water to boil instantly. then just gives it a quick stir and lets it cook like normal rice.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I'm sure he's probably not doing things a traditional way for whatever its called. For instance, I told him about not dumping cold water right into a hot pan, but he said it tastes different if he adds Hot water, so I'm assuming he's "shocking" the rice to some degree (I think? can rice even be shocked?).

Overall its a mess and I'm not to sure what he's really doing, but I can't deny it makes some darn Good Rice.

Joined Jan 9, 2019
The same sort thing is done for a risotto or the old "Rice-a-Roni".
I believe it's done for other rice dishes also..I'd personally use cool water..not icy cold..but that's just me.
It does add a nice flavour.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
The same sort thing is done for a risotto or the old "Rice-a-Roni".
I believe it's done for other rice dishes also..I'd personally use cool water..not icy cold..but that's just me.
It does add a nice flavour.
I looked it up, It does look pretty similar, though not quite the same either.
Kinda like a combination of more traditional methods and risotto.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Toasting and sauteeing the rice is a technique used for risotto. It's my favorite way of making rice but of course you're right, cold water is not the best option. For risotto I first add a little wine, then I stir in flavorful stock little by little, keep stirring, keep adding stock as it gets absorbed and yea that's it, very flavorful rice.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Toasting and sauteeing the rice is a technique used for risotto. It's my favorite way of making rice but of course you're right, cold water is not the best option. For risotto I first add a little wine, then I stir in flavorful stock little by little, keep stirring, keep adding stock as it gets absorbed and yea that's it, very flavorful rice.
I saw them do that in the Video as well, though I was a little disapointed in how soggy it looked after. But apparently that's how its suppose to be. (I've never actually made risotto myself)

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I saw them do that in the Video as well, though I was a little disapointed in how soggy it looked after. But apparently that's how its suppose to be. (I've never actually made risotto myself)
Oh my goodness that's tragic, you must try it immediately! It is not at all soggy, in fact the rice is meant to be a little chewy, it has lots of texture. The constant stirring is what gives it that creamy look, it's creamy on the outisde, perky and chewy on the inside. Risotto is so good I want some right now!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
That is called the pilaf method and it creates....rice pilaf.
quoted for truth

You'll also see pillau/pullau word usage depending on the region it comes from. Probably a few other variant spellings too.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The rice used for risotto (arborio or carnaroli) release a lot of starch into the cooking liquid. So inventive cooks used that to build a sauce for the rice instead of letting it be gummy from the excess starch. It's quite good.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
quoted for truth

You'll also see pillau/pullau word usage depending on the region it comes from. Probably a few other variant spellings too.
Yup. I looked it up, and its essentially the same thing he does. Its cool how people can "discover" things like this without actually knowing the proper names and such.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Oh my goodness that's tragic, you must try it immediately! It is not at all soggy, in fact the rice is meant to be a little chewy, it has lots of texture. The constant stirring is what gives it that creamy look, it's creamy on the outisde, perky and chewy on the inside. Risotto is so good I want some right now!
Will have to give it a try!

Joined May 5, 2010
I've been doing it that way for years. My only difference is that I use boiling hot chicken stock.
Toasting the rice first does give it a bit of a nutty flavor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom