what is the worst thing a server can do to make you mad?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bundens, Jul 31, 2009.

1. lyle

lyle

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wow! Out here in Utah, they generally get paid the minimum wage of $2.13 an hour-- relying, as you wrote, on tips to survive.

2. ambibambi

ambibambi

Exp:
    Server
    @Sheena

I'm a server and when there is cash on the table I make it a point to say "I'll be back with your change" that way if they want change they can say thank you and if they don't they can say keep the change. This way it doesn't make things awkward for the guest as it would if you said "Do you want change?" like you already know it's your tip.

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    This might already be back in the thread. I was reading some points about cross contamination. It really puts me off when a server puts his pen

behind his ear and then sticks the order pad down the back of his pants.

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Remember this joke?

Last night, I went with some friends out to a new restaurant, and noticed that the waiter who took our order carried a spoon in his shirt pocket. It seemed a little strange. When the busboy brought our water and utensils, I noticed he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket. Then I looked around I saw that all the staff had spoons in their pockets.

When the waiter came back to serve our soup I asked, "Why the spoon?"

"Well," he explained, "the restaurant's owners hired a consulting firm to revamp all our processes. After several months of analysis, they concluded that the spoon was the most frequently dropped utensil. It represents a drop frequency of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour. If our personnel are better prepared, we can reduce the number of trips back to the kitchen and save 15 man-hours per shift."

As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he was able to replace it with his spare. "I'll get another spoon next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip to get it right now."

I was impressed! I also noticed that there was a string hanging out of the waiter's fly.

Looking around, I noticed that all the waiters had the same string hanging from their flies. So before he walked off, I asked the waiter, "Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that string right there?"

"Oh, certainly!" Then he lowered his voice. "Not everyone is so observant... That consulting firm I mentioned also found out that we can save time in the restroom. By tying this string to the end of our "you know what," we can pull it out without touching it and eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the time spent in the restroom by 76.39 percent."

"Hhmmm...After you get it out, how do you put it back?" I asked.

"Well," he whispered, "I don't know about the others... but I use the spoon."

5. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Hadn't heard that before, Kuan. And, as soon as I wipe the coffee off the screen, I'll be in better shape. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Sadly, however, it does reflect the difference in sanitation orientation between FOH and BOH.

6. chefboyarg

chefboyarg

Exp:
    Line Cook
    This particular incident sticks out in my mind; maybe because it was on New Year's Eve. So my girlfriend and I went to one of the better places in town for dinner and the meal was progressing well. Delicious food, good wine. We decide to get a couple of post dinner drinks (Scotch for me, whiskey sour for her)....anyways she tells me that it doesn't taste like she expected but she likes it anyways. It's rimmed with sugar and she just runs her finger around the rim which causes our server to materialize by our side and inquire if the drink is satisfactory, as she saw the need to add sugar. She says it is fine and he says he will get the bartender to make a new one. She protested and he literally snatched the drink from her hand. It didn't impress me. In fact we had had the same server the night previous and had prayed he wouldn't be the ruination of our NYE.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Every thing alright here?  Everything alright here?  everything alright here?  everything alright here?,  everything alright here?  everything alright here?

IF  IT  WASN'T  I  WOULD  HAVE  CALLED  YOU .

8. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    In fact we had had the same server the night previous and had prayed he wouldn't be the ruination of our NYE.

If you had a server you were unhappy with, why didn't you request that you not be seated at his table?

9. rpmcmurphy

rpmcmurphy

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Writing/calculating the tip on the ticket...annoys me to no end.  I tip very well for good service. sometimes 50%....write it down like I'm too stupid to do math and I'll leave you that exact amount, including the pennies. 

10. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I keep hearing about that practice, RP, but have never actually had it happen. Is it really common for servers to do it?

11. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I hae been in one or 2 chain type places that printed on the check is a table of % 12-15-20-25- and based on your check what the figure is.. so to help you compute tip. It does not however tell you for what type of service, good , bad, or mediocre?

12. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Kuan.

ha!ha! Thanks you made my day.

13. rpmcmurphy

rpmcmurphy

Exp:
    Cook At Home

No, it's not common but has happened to me on more than one occasion. Most recently at a resto in Jersey called Sahara.

14. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef

And they leave when someone else says yes and you can't because you have a mouthful of food.

15. breadmaker man

breadmaker man

Exp:
    Home Cook
    1. When they walk past every table without making eye contact or looking around to see if someone wants their attention.2. Having to wait an eternity between entree and main. 3. Not being polite.

16. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    1. Going into "Lack of eye contact mode because I am rushed and want to pretend I didn't hear the please for service from my tables"

2. Touching the top/rim of any beverage.

3. Slamming plates on the table - use some grace please.

4. Not having the table ready - place setting, dirty, missing elements that are on all the other tables.

5. Not knowing how to present, open, sample or pour wine.

6. Not keeping an eye on drink levels.

7. Dirty habits/poor personal hygene or frumpy dress.

8. Not knowing the menu or anything specific about any particular item.

Some of these things just make me angry at management - for not training their people. I'll chew a FOH before I say anything to a server. That's as it should be.

9. Servers who clean or bus their own tables. Bus and Wait staff need to be different people.

10. Bus staff that roams around pouring water/tea/whatever - They usually touch rim of glass as well. Servers serve - Bussers BUS!

17. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    For me,

1. I hate waiting too long to get my order.

2. Asking to much while eating.

3. Taking a long time to get refilled.

4. Arguing 

18. cactusdr

cactusdr

Exp:
    At home cook
    "Go ahead and put my drink on the table with your fingers on the rim of the glass. Go ahead.....and see what happens. I GUARANTEE it will be the last time you do."

19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey cactusdr. I'm curious. Are you "GUARANTEEING" that it's the last time the server would put anything on "your" table, or are you of the idea that you would get them fired? I'm not looking for a fire-fight, I'm just curious about the true outcome that you are speaking of. TIA for a response. 

20. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I've trained waitstaff, ad-hoc, while on vacation. Was in a hotel dining room and ordered wine - the server comes with wine and plops it on the table. Then fumbles for an opener from her apron.. Obviously not sure what to do...

I said "Stop, please... Do you know how to serve wine?" She said "No, they don't teach us that."

I told her not to worry or feel like she had done anything wrong, but I wanted to talk to the FOH Manager.

He comes to the table, and with all candor, told me he didn't really know how to do it either, but expected his servers to know, so it had not been addressed. (OMG?)

We had training with trooper that night. The manager, an assistant and six or seven servers - Mostly the whole wait staff - eagerly watching me and asking questions.

The next night I came down to eat, ordered a bottle of wine, and another server was wide-eyed and proud to service the presentation.

She said her, and her peers tip ratio had gone up considerably on wine tables, and much thanks to me. The Manager comped my meal and costed my wine... everyone wins.

My dear mother was a "server" (waitress) for 30 years. Take her out to eat and see what happens if a server fingers the rim of a glass or plops-down your plate with no grace.... Ka-Boom! Angry 74/yr-old grandma wrath.

I'm picky, but I always ask; were you trained? I don't know how some of these FOH/Dining Room "Managers" get their jobs. TRAIN YOUR STAFF!!!!!