What is the pasta that absorbs more liquid than Rissoto?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by abefroman, Jul 24, 2005.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What is the pasta that absorbs more liquid than Rissoto?

I saw it on tv but forgot the name.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Risotto is rice, not pasta. Are you thinking of orzo, which is rice-shaped and is actually pasta?

3. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    no, what is a rice that absords more liquid than Rissoto?

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    how is it cooked?

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Guys, rissotto is a dish.....carnoli and arborio are two rices traditionally used to make rissotto.
    Sauteing in oil first to coat the grains then gradually adding liquid and stirring to get a creamy end dish. There are probably 30 rices on my shelf right now.
    I'd be interested in learning about a "new" or one with absorbtion higher than arborio or carnoli.

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm not so sure that there aren't many rices that absorb more liquid than arborio. That's why I was wondering how it was cooked.

7. txacoli

txacoli

Israeli, or ''Middle Eastern' couscous for the anti-Semites, can be cooked just like arborio rice in risotto. It has the same nutty, creamy texture. Perhaps this is what you saw. We love the stuff: it is great as a salad, as a side starch, as an entrée risotto-style. It was invented in Tel Aviv in the 50's, and is just now kind of an ''in'' thing. It is available from Falcon Trading wholesale, or at most Whole Foods stores retail

8. chefoncall

chefoncall

Honestly, all rices I know of making except the Japenese Sushi are done by 2:1 ratio of water to rice. Even in the rice steamer the ratio is 2:1. Usually perfect doneness is around 45 mins oven timer and 22 minutes stove top.

9. chefoncall

chefoncall

To me Orchiette or "Little Ears" or Shells would absorb more sauces than like thin string like pasta.

10. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    As a general rule, use more liquid for a longer grain rice. Cooking Risotto calls for more liquid not because the liquid is absorbed but because the liquid evaporates.