What is the name if that edible bowl in Malaysian cooking?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rsteed, Jun 12, 2013.

1. rsteed

rsteed

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi there. A few years ago, I had a Malaysian chicken curry at a Sainsbury's restaurant. It came with this edible bowl containing the chicken curry inside. This bowl had a very sweet and beautiful biscuit like texture and flavour but I've never come across this since.What are these edible bowls called? What was it made of and where can I buy them thesedays?Regards,Richard Steed

2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Richard, maybe you could call them and ask directly, oh and Welcome to Chef Talk, I hope that you  will visit all of us often

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Could be a variant of Roti, but that's usually a spiderweb pancake sort of thing.  You could re-purpose banh xeo to this pretty easily.

or this?

4. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A little nosing around on the internet turns up a couple of Malaysian restaurants in the US that serve dishes--seafood or chicken and vegetables-- in a deep fried edible bowl made of taro. Taro is a root which is also called yam on Malaysian cuisine websites. I was not able to find a Malaysian word for the edible bowl or a recipe. 

5. rsteed

rsteed

Exp:
    At home cook
    I think I can remember someone saying it was made of rice. Like a rice biscuit bowl. I just cant find these around in supermarkets.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yam pot.

7. keithw

keithw

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I grew up in Malaysia. Kuan beat me to it. Indeed, the bowl you had was probably a yam pot.

phatch, the video which you linked to is called appam in Malaysia. It is an Indian snack made from fermented rice. It is delicious, but it will dissolve if you try to put a curry in it :) 

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013