What is the name for the small puffed rice balls used in sushi?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jellly, Aug 14, 2011.

1. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I have had these before, they are small and taste sort of like rice krispies, but are smaller and round?  

2. maggiefsw

maggiefsw

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    are you talking about the tempura sprinkles? it's just drizzled tempura batter in a deep fryer. I haven't seen puffed rice in any sushi place I have been to. hmmm,may have to go check that place out.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  4. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    No, it is definitely rice, but they are round.  We used to use them in a restaurant I worked at for desserts.  They are a little more sophisticated than straight rice krispies, but give a similar affect of staying crisp in chocolate.  I have seen them used on sushi and that is what they are originally intended for.  I would like to buy some, but I don't even know what to search under.

5. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    well I will now be on the hunt for it in a sushi place and see what they say when i ask. I did do a quick search and found these suppliers of a variety of puffed rices. I have not used any of these suppliers and know nothing about thier buisiness but here is the link: http://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/puffed-rice.html

best of luck