What is the ideal square footage for an pie/bake shop?

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by Pies4days, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Pies4days

Pies4days

Exp:
    2 years
    Hi all, new to ChefTalk. I'm trying to start a pie shop business. I feel silly for asking but what are your thoughts on an ideal shop size for a pie shop. I'd love enough room for the kitchen/storage, but also a decent size for a storefront where customers can sit and relax with a slice of pie and cup of coffee. Holiday seasons space is vital with all the orders of pie made for wholesale. I don't need a warehouse of course haha. I'm shopping around and avg range is between 1500 to 2000 sf. 1500 is good for a small restaurant to my understanding. Do you guys think that's overkill? Would love to hear your thoughts and words of wisdom. Thanks!

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Always go for the bigger space if you can afford it. You'd be surprised how quickly those extra space you thought you have get filled up. I thought my 1,500 sq.ft. kitchen was huge when I built it; I even considered having a chef's table inside at one point. Before I know it, I didn't even have room to store paper towels and plastic containers. How very sad indeed.

3. Pies4days

Pies4days

Exp:
    2 years
    Thanks for the tip Pat. Yeah its always storage that takes up all the space, granted you NEED the space/supplies.