What is the ideal square footage for an pie/bake shop?

Joined Oct 10, 2017
Hi all, new to ChefTalk. I'm trying to start a pie shop business. I feel silly for asking but what are your thoughts on an ideal shop size for a pie shop. I'd love enough room for the kitchen/storage, but also a decent size for a storefront where customers can sit and relax with a slice of pie and cup of coffee. Holiday seasons space is vital with all the orders of pie made for wholesale. I don't need a warehouse of course haha. I'm shopping around and avg range is between 1500 to 2000 sf. 1500 is good for a small restaurant to my understanding. Do you guys think that's overkill? Would love to hear your thoughts and words of wisdom. Thanks!

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Always go for the bigger space if you can afford it. You'd be surprised how quickly those extra space you thought you have get filled up. I thought my 1,500 sq.ft. kitchen was huge when I built it; I even considered having a chef's table inside at one point. Before I know it, I didn't even have room to store paper towels and plastic containers. How very sad indeed.

Joined Oct 10, 2017
Thanks for the tip Pat. Yeah its always storage that takes up all the space, granted you NEED the space/supplies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom