what is the difference???

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by zouzouni, Jun 10, 2002.

1. zouzouni

zouzouni

well, plenty of websites for both, but none that compares the two: what is the difference between a dutch and a french oven?

zouzouni

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Well, in many parts of the western US, what is a dutch oven is not at all what many chefs call one. See http://www.idos.org.

Phil

3. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The "oven" part is easy. It must be thick sided, heavy duty, preferably cast iron or aluminum with a somewhat domed cover. It holds intense heat inside for things like stews and oven-cooked items. It used to be every cooking vessel described this way was referred to as a "Dutch Oven." Then Le Creuset started calling their heavy duty beauties "French" ovens. I'm sure there are other subtle differences.

4. zouzouni

zouzouni

although I had done a thorough research (on the web) about both french and dutch ovens before I posted my question here, I had failed to discern something distinctively different between the two. I was familiar with the dutch but not the french and your explanation, that it is mostly an advertising gig, makes absolute sense.

zouzouni

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just my opinion, but I think it's marketing. I can't believe a French cookware company would call it anything BUT a French oven! :p