What is the best website for definitions and descriptions of dishes?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by onepiece, Mar 23, 2011.

1. onepiece

onepiece

Exp:
    At home cook
    I really enjoy cooking, and I am an at home cook, but I would really like to have as much knowledge as possible .  What site is a  good, reliable, and accurate source for information concerning ingredients, and dishes? 

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. thekitchensink

thekitchensink

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This one!

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Epicurious has a good food dictionary. Even wikipedia is often useful in that regard.

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Buy yourself Guide Culinaire by A Esscoffier or borrow it in library

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I have it Ed . I lent it to a young man who thinking of entering the field. He asked me 7 months ago what would be the best book to read for this very thing. Of the 4 books I handed him, that was on of them.

Last week I hosted a party and I invited this young man to bring some hors d'oeuvres....he brought platters of various amuse buches but what impressed me most was that when asked about his smoked salmon , this young man, took the time, and smoked the salmom in his backyard yard.

I asked him why ? why did he go through so much trouble ? and he said that he was "inspired" by Escoffier, he is reading the book for the second time now. This is someone who never stepped into a kitchen, but I believe he has a gift.

6. onepiece

onepiece

Exp:
    At home cook
    I will look into the book.  Do you guys have a link for where to purchase  it?  I searched and I found different but similiar titles.   So an exact link would be greatly appreciated.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The original was crown publishing in NY  / Library has it or can get it  for you, because cheap it's not

8. eloki

eloki

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think Larousse gastronomique is pretty good.