what is the best way to work in good restaraunts in the caribbean

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by eldoc, Oct 29, 2010.

1. eldoc

eldoc

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    without speaking psanish or french, what are the chances of learning the innovative tricks and techniques of the islands like trinidad, haiti and DR?

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Flaco.  Muy flaco.

BDL

3. eldoc

eldoc

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    and if i know the language, then what?

4. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Trinidad, Tobago and other islands, including Jamaica and St Kitts and Nevis are island that  were once British...  they all speak English.

5. eldoc

eldoc

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I know that. But I am interested in haiti cuba and trinidad the most.  However I would take a job in barbados or jamaica or st kitts.

I think Boar D Laze was saying the chance is slim in general and not just because of the language barrier?

What about the big time restaurants in antigua, anguilla, virgen islands and mexico?

6. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What exactly are you going for here? A different culture? A different type of food? Or just a "nice" restaurant in a pretty location? Every island has a different cuisine all its own, so is there any particular reason you are more interested in Haiti, Cuba, or Trinidad as opposed to St. Lucia, Grenada, or Jamaica?

7. eldoc

eldoc

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The culture. Trinidad haiti and cuba have interested me for a while, lets not forget the culinary culture as well. All the islands are interesting from a historic archaeological perspective as well.