What is the best way to cook beef short ribs?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Braised in dark beer, with fennel bulb instead of onion and some dried tart cherries tossed in.

mjb.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Braised in red wine and lamb stock with a variety of root veggies such as carrots, beet root, celery root, some garlic, fennel root, green pepper corns and herbs. I like to use a bouquet of thyme, taragon and sage. :)

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Dry rub and in the oven at 300 for about 2-2.5 hours (I judge by eye actually). Smoked Spanish paprika is a must ingredient, really needs nothing more than S+P.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I like short ribs and cook them on a regular base low and slow, either on the kettle bbq or in the smoky mountain.
I like to marinade them in a spicy soy mixture before cooking, or just with a dry rub

Joined Sep 21, 2001
These I smeared with tomato paste, seared the outside, then braised with red wine, diced tomato, mirepoix and saffron.

Attachments

• Capture ribs.PNG
    Capture ribs.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Joined Sep 5, 2008
Galbi

20101012-galbi.jpg

Joined May 5, 2010
short ribs.JPG

I have these on right now Sous Vide. There's 4 ribs in the package along with some thyme, a piece of bay leaf, and black pepper. My recipe is 27 hours at 148F. I take them out and sear them, then finish with homemade tomato sauce. I serve this with Cheddar Polenta.....

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Do you cook them covered? I may want to try this soon.

Nope, just light brush of oil. You know they swell quite a bit, and when I see the swell shrink a bit, they're done, goodness but don't overcook though. In poking the juice should not be copious, and, of course, especially not have any tinge of pink to it. Once they are "done" (moist and tender both), it is a rather small window before overdone (dry,but still nothing you'd want to toss). Pros who do this all the time just rely on touch/feel, I'm not yet there though.

Just thinking, I said 300F, but I have gone as low as 275.

The smoked Spanish paprika's I've had seem quite overpowering-harsh when you sample it from the bottle, but after a couple hours in the oven it is nicely mellowed, so you can use quite a bit here.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
E3E3D9B4-7821-45B6-874A-28704B22541C.jpeg
Nope, just light brush of oil. You know they swell quite a bit, and when I see the swell shrink a bit, they're done, goodness but don't overcook though. In poking the juice should not be copious, and, of course, especially not have any tinge of pink to it. Once they are "done" (moist and tender both), it is a rather small window before overdone (dry,but still nothing you'd want to toss). Pros who do this all the time just rely on touch/feel, I'm not yet there though.

Just thinking, I said 300F, but I have gone as low as 275.

The smoked Spanish paprika's I've had seem quite overpowering-harsh when you sample it from the bottle, but after a couple hours in the oven it is nicely mellowed, so you can use quite a bit here.

Well too late because I cooked it last week, covered. I seasoned with salt pepper and paprika and I added garlic and thyme to the pan under the roast. Covered it and cooked it for about 3 hrs until tender. Uncovered and let it crisp. I will shamelessly tell you that I roasted potatoes directly I the fat that rendered. Potatoes confit!

The bones were used for bone broth the next morning.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
They do look nice, less fat rendering but that has its charms also, and not much chance of drying out. I've avoided the high-heat finishes on things because electrics take so long to get up to quick-brown temps.

Joined Oct 13, 2018
We sous vide then with s+p, evoo, thyme and a dash of lea&perrins (can’t substitute the original Worcestershire sauce) @ 165F for 18 hours. Chilled, then for service we re-therm and finish in a 220c oven for 6 mins).

Served on proper potato mash, butter sautéed seasonal greens and drizzled with a reduction of cooking juices, port, balsamic and knob of butter.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
It is getting cold enough in Salt Lake now to have the oven on for many hours without making the house uncomfortably warm. Will certainly be doing some short ribs soon.

mjb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom