What is the best saffron?

Joined May 5, 2010
Saffron started out in Mesopotamia and was brought elsewhere by Marco Polo. The bright red saffron from Iran is purportedly the best as it is the place of origin. Take a plant from it's native area and move it elsewhere, it will not be the same.

Joined Mar 12, 2005
Saffron started out in Mesopotamia and was brought elsewhere by Marco Polo. The bright red saffron from Iran is purportedly the best as it is the place of origin. Take a plant from it's native area and move it elsewhere, it will not be the same.
Unfortunately imports from Iran are banned in the U.S.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
From strictly my experience, any saffron I can get at a reasonable price is the best. As long as it's authentic saffron. I'd love to get the original, best quality saffron from wherever it comes from but haven't found any I can afford.

Joined Mar 12, 2005
From strictly my experience, any saffron I can get at a reasonable price is the best. As long as it's authentic saffron. I'd love to get the original, best quality saffron from wherever it comes from but haven't found any I can afford.
There is a Spanish saffron that’s only $30/oz, which is the kind I usually get.
I just picked up some of the >$200/oz kind to compare.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Oddly enough I am watching "Taste the Nation with Padma Lakshmi" on Hulu. Currently Episode 6, which is about Iranian ( Persian ) food. Of course saffron makes an appearence.

Screenshot from 2020-08-27 07-07-31.png

It's a screenshot of the sales guy dumping a few hundred dollars worth of the stuff on to the counter. Wow!

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I got a little saffron lying around. No idea where it originates from, but without hijacking the thread, what would be the best recipe to try it out on?

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I got a little saffron lying around. No idea where it originates from, but without hijacking the thread, what would be the best recipe to try it out on?
Best introduction to saffron would be steamed rice and Indian food.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I plan to use saffron in a Spanish seafood paella for this month's challenge.

mjb.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Basically while my basmati rice is cooking then steaming, I crush the saffron threads in a tiny mortar and pestle and add some hot water to soak for up to half an hour. Once the rice is steaming I'll make a dome out of it with a depression in the middle, a deep depression. Into it I pour the saffron and top with a good dollop of ghee or butter. Then I cover the "filled depression" with more of the steamed rice and cover the pan to further steam for several minutes. Then allow to cool a bit and serve warm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom