What is the best and most efficent way to cook an 8oz portion of skinless salmon fillet on a propane grill ?!

Joined May 1, 2019
I am working a hot station at a spring training facility cooking for the major league players covering 50 portions an hr for 2 hrs i am curious to as how i can appropriately fully cook salmon, they are an inch to an inch and a half thick, i am not trying to burn them nor do i want to poison someone ! Please give me advice and honest feed back, spit on me i don't care

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Just cook it all the way. Presentation side down first, crust it up nice and brown, and then flip over until it's done to your, their, liking.

So how big is your grill and IMO a flat top would be better.

Joined May 1, 2019
Just cook it all the way. Presentation side down first, crust it up nice and brown, and then flip over until it's done to your, their, liking.

So how big is your grill and IMO a flat top would be better.
Its 1 and a half feet by six feet gas grill

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
My suggestion is to have a full size pan on a section of the grill with a rack on the inside. Make sure your grill is hot and oiled every time you put the salmon on. S+P on the presentation side first. Get nice dark marks, peel it off the grill, and let it finish cooking in the sheet pan and cover the sheet pan lightly with foil. Like a lid but not lid. Keep an eye on those so they don't overcook. Baste with herb oil + lemon while in the sheet pan. Also prep 53 portions. That's like 5% overrun. I would start with low heat under the pan. Maybe even a little liquid. Hmm... that part you figure out and let us know. :D

Joined May 1, 2019
I appreciate it so much they actually pulled the other chef off and gave me their days because of how much of a shit show it was for them !! They believe i put out the better food upon request so i will have more than enough time for the trial and error, again thank you so much

Joined Mar 1, 2017
If you have the prep time, you could always sous vide the salmon in large batches with the prerequisite herbs and seasonings, refrigerate and finish on the grill.

Just a thought from outside the box. Good luck! :)

Joined May 1, 2019
If you have the prep time, you could always sous vide the salmon in large batches with the prerequisite herbs and seasonings, refrigerate and finish on the grill.

Just a thought from outside the box. Good luck! :)
See that would be nice i was thinking the same thing but the catering team I'm apart of doesn't own anything like that ): i can make a reauest since they are more about efficiency !!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
You don't need fancy sous vide gear. All you need are sealable plastic bags, a thermometer, a large pot and someone dependable to keep an eye on the water temp so it doesn't get too hot.

Top Bottom