What is the best air fryer?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
A few weeks ago I bought a Black & Decker "Crisp&Fry" 1500 watt air fryer - toaster oven combo. It is a fairly simple, low end unit, cost me about $90 USD . Toaster, oven, broiler, and air fryer. Simple analog controls, perhaps a bit too simple. You cannot set a specific temperature for the air fry function, 'Air Fry' on the dial.

So far I am mostly pleased with it. Does a great job on frozen french fries out of the bag. Tried it on some chicken thighs.

20200304_095303.jpg

20200304_104104.jpg

These were not breaded, just allowed to dry off a bit, hit with salt and pepper and cooked in air fryer mode. Should have done a short 'fork don't lie' video al a Chef John to show the crispy skin. A few days later did some that were buttermilk soaked and breaded, those were not as successful.

So far it has worked on other things I have tried, toasted sandwiches, quesadillas and such. I might have been happier with a top end 500 dollar unit, maybe not.

mjb.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've only seen Ming Tsai use them on his cooking program. They seem slow for the results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom