What is scrambled eggs really supose to taste like?

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
Hello,whats scrambled eggs supposed to taste like? I think i can make them good, water bath over simmering water, stiring slowly etc. But when i get the caviar like consistency that i want, eggs tastes pretty raw/eggy, so i always have to overcook getting them rubbery to remove the eggy taste. Is this just a preferance thing? like some like hard boiled eggs and others soft, personaly i dont like soft, so maybe thats why? Or am i doing something wront

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It’s both a preference thing and a familiarity thing, I think. I grew up eating rubbery scrambled eggs. I hated them. My wife grew up eating rubbery scrambled eggs. She loves them. When I first tasted scrambled egg in the French style I nearly had an orgasm. My wife... nearly vomited. It’s a prefereance. One thing I know... if you like them cooked hard then don’t bother with the water bath. Crack into a buttery fry pan, stir to mix, and cook to death. S&P to taste. Enjoy!

Joined Apr 3, 2008
It’s both a preference thing and a familiarity thing, I think. I grew up eating rubbery scrambled eggs. I hated them. My wife grew up eating rubbery scrambled eggs. She loves them. When I first tasted scrambled egg in the French style I nearly had an orgasm. My wife... nearly vomited. It’s a prefereance. One thing I know... if you like them cooked hard then don’t bother with the water bath. Crack into a buttery fry pan, stir to mix, and cook to death. S&P to taste. Enjoy!

Me the same. I grew up with overcooked browned eggs because that's how my parents like them. I just thought I didn't like eggs. And then I had them scrambled "soft" and I was like ooooooo!! I personally love the eggy taste. Steaming the eggs the way you are doing it will bring out that eggy flavor. If you want to cut the eggyness I would cook them in butter in a pan and make sure to stir in a little milk before you pour into a pan. Also, a sprinkle of fresh chives on top adds a fresh flavor that cuts through the eggy flavor.

Joined Apr 25, 2017

I am with your wife 100% - I just cannot eat "proper" eggs. For me, eggs belong in ice cream and baked goods :)

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I don't like my scrambled eggs brown, but I do have to admit that I most often prefer them "fried" in bacon fat, as opposed to the French method, although I, occasionally get a craving for them that way, especially with a little crème fraiche stirred in right before they are done, then topped with some fresh parsley and chives.

I grew up with them always cooked in bacon fat, so as a kid, even just srambled in a pan with butter tasted "strange" to me.

Joined Dec 21, 2012
Hi. I usually use two whole eggs and add two yolks, fried in a little leftover bacon grease. With today's supermarket eggs that's the only way I can get them to taste reasonably like eggs. For fried over easy eggs, I always fry them in bacon fat, otherwise to me they just taste like not much of anything.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Farm eggs(I am lucky!) but scrambled until no longer any liquid... right before the rubber stage... in a fry pan with bacon fat(preferred) or butter.

Joined Dec 1, 2015
I think of learning to like properly scrambled eggs as akin to learning to enjoy creme brûlée, mousse, anything with a delicate, soft consistency. It's just that they have a nice, eggy taste.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
If farm fresh eggs are at hand, I prefer the soft, slow cooked, small curd variety, no cream, just S and P. But that's just preference. When I did breakfast cooking, a fast scramble with butter but completely cooked or they would get sent back was the general rule. Once we had an elderly gentleman who wanted them whisked, poured into the pan and as soon as they begin to set, pour them on the plate. Basically warmed, raw eggs with a few curds.
Another customer had a special request he willingly explained to me. Start the eggs as for over easy. When the whites are partially set, stir the eggs as for scrambled. You end up with scrambled eggs with chunks of egg white throughout. He and I decided to call them country scrambled.
Knowing they would get their eggs the way they wanted kept many coming back. I never found any one correct way.

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
Hmm i see, not easy. I can specify my question a little bit more. When my scrambled egg has reached what i call the perfect consistancy(caviar like, kinda runny) I think they taste too much of the raw yolk taste like soft boiled eggs runny eggs, which i dont like when i eat it alone. But its when i make it for guests its important to serve it ¨correct¨ so im wondering which one of these are the correct way serving it:
1: caviar consitency with soft boiled eggs taste, and then just me being weird not liking it.
2: i have to go ask the guests what they prefered, like when u do it with hard/soft boiled eggs
3: cooked until the raw yolk taste is gone, but then they get the hateful over cooked rubbery consitancy.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Your best bet is too cook them like the vast majority of the public in your area likes them. People with specific preferences will, hopefully, let you know. But when it comes to scrambled, I rarely have gotten returns for them to be redone.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I serve people stuff I don’t like all the time. Friends ask for their steak well done - fine. They’re the ones that have to eat it so what’s the problem? I hate hard boiled eggs, I mean I really hate them! But if I was cooking for you I wouldn’t have a problem serving you your egg the way you like it. There’s nothing more easy than over cooking something so enjoy it

Last edited:
Joined Jan 25, 2013
I want my eggs, whole or scrambled or boiled or in an omlet done, set, hard, no liquid. the sight of TV food critics ooohing and coooing over almost raw fried or poached eggs makes me ill. I will serve you eggs as raw as you want them, just don't ask me to eat them that way.

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
Yes its a personal preferance, so why is it normal asking people how they want their boiled eggs, but not when u make scrambled? My main question is what is correct way of serving it, how do they serve it world finest resturant?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
What is served in the world's finest restaurant is going to be different than what you serve at an "every day" place. As I stated before the correct way is the way the majority of your guests want them. Since I don't know where you are at, I can't answer that question, but again most people like their scrambled eggs fully set so that is the way I would do them. People who want soft set eggs will probably tell you. You will have many less complaints if you do it that way (based on my experience across the US) as opposed to doing them all soft set.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Yes its a personal preferance, so why is it normal asking people how they want their boiled eggs, but not when u make scrambled? My main question is what is correct way of serving it, how do they serve it world finest resturant?

It's really not that big of a deal, just ask them if you want to be certain. When I make scrambled eggs for a lot of people I cook them until fully set, but no brown bits. But I've been out to brunch with friends at low-key diners and IHOP and they specify how they want their scramble if it's important to them, even though no waiter has ever asked us how we want our scrambled eggs done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom