What is Matignon?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chutney, Mar 30, 2012.

1. chutney

chutney

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am getting ready to take CSC and I need to make Matignon.  If I look it up Escoffier, it says to finely mince the onion, carrots and celery and cut he ham with a paysanne cut.  The chef who is helping me says to cut everything with a paysanne.  Do different versions of the book say different things?  Has anyone out there who has taken CSC comment on which way to make this?

Thanks

2. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    My escoffier says the same thing. Also mentions adding madiera and thyme.

I suppose the most important question is what you're supposed to be doing with it. I vaguely remember from school that matignon is 'mirepoix for eating' so doing everything in paysanne makes sense.

Doesn't the ACF have a book or something that covers this?

3. braising cows

braising cows

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My understanding is that it was just uniform cut edible mirepoix, so 50% onion 25% celery an 25% carrot because the ACF are sticklers on their tests.

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have two versions of Escoffier, One says what you did, and the other says everything cut into thin paysanne. Also the first one says madiera and the second says white wine.

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    When the chef used to tell us to do this ,he normally told us what cut he wanted then sauteed slowly in clarrified butter then a splash of Madiera. But then that was in Europe 40 years ago.

6. chefchrisd

chefchrisd

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was always taught it was a brunoised mire poix that was perfectly cut for garnish, usually blanched or sweated.

7. chutney

chutney

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is what the judges were looking for in the Matignon.  I sweated it and added a splash of Madiera.  I did not pass the test and will take it again.