What is in a knife kit?

Joined Jan 3, 2002
I assume a chef's/cook's knife is one knife in the beginner's kit. Perhaps a paring knife is another? I really don't know. Care to share the answer?

Joined Dec 12, 2000
Chef's knife, (french)
Slicer or Serrated
Boning knife
paring knife
Steel,
At least that's what it was when I started out. I've added a couple of more knifes to my set though, I have two french knives ( 8" & 10"), a serrated, a boning knife, a steak knife, utility, a paring knife (actually i have a few of these) and a steel, I also have a carving fork and knife set.

Joined Nov 29, 2001
If you get a knife kit from a school, they put in it what they think the school curriculum requires. There will definitely be a chef's knife, a parer, possibly a boning knife and possibly a bird's beak.

Knife kits purchased from catalogues are as extensive or bare bones as you can afford. A top of the line knife kit may include all the basics plus the garde manger tools.

Joined Nov 26, 2001
Hi there,

I am a new culinary student and I have the school issued kit sitting right here next to me. Here is what is in it:

8" Chef knife
Serrated Knife
Filet Knife
Boning Knife
Paring Knife
Cake Spreader
Meat fork
Stone & Set
Thermometer
Tongs
Wooden spoon
Whisk
Rubber spatula
Peeler
Melon baller
measuring spoons

that's the kit!

....David:bounce:

Joined Oct 28, 2001
In my school, they dont issue you a steel either, but instead they ask you to grab one between a few classmates to share.

Latest posts

Top Bottom