What is black cocoa powder and...

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by anna w., Jul 3, 2003.

1. anna w.

anna w.

... how does it differ from regular? I just saw this in a recipe and have never heard of it!

2. w.debord

w.debord

I've never heard of it either. The only thing I can think of is there are cocoa powders that have a very redish hue vs. a brown cast. I wonder if that what they mean?

Where did you read this? A current publication, American? Where you read it might give the best clue to the meaning.

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The most common use for it is to make Oreos. The cocoa is black like an oreo, but milder in flavor than you'd expect, with such a deep color. Try it in place of medium cocoa any time you want a darker color.

4. spoons

spoons

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  5. angrychef

angrychef

Yes, the only thing I've used it for is my version of Oreos, but I have a friend who uses it for deep dark chocolate cakes. I'm surprised it isn't easy to get(at least in my old job last year).

6. anna w.

anna w.

Wendy- it was in a book I found at the library called "Sweet Seasons". I have this horrible habit of getting these cookbooks when I take my kids to the library- all these fabulous looking recipes, yet really no time for experimentation!

7. w.debord

w.debord

Ha-cool.

I bought that book Anna....it's a bit labor intensive....HA! I can't imagine having the time to make all the components he does for 1 dessert and then doing that for 5 or 6 ala carte desserts. I made a couple items from it, but nothing fab. comes to mind right now.

8. anna w.

anna w.

Wendy- Did you ever try the malted milk mousse? That sounded intriquing- I'm thinking a chocolate malted layer cake???

9. w.debord

w.debord

I didn't try that one, but it does sound deeee-lish. I do love chocolate and malt!! One year for the childrens christmas party I did a whole candyland sweet table. I did a chocolate malt ball cake, I can't remember what I did inside-but the outside was dotted in cut in half malt balls. I think I ate all the ones that didn't cut nicely:)

It's always a struggle to buy items like that. Chef's want to buy everything by the case.....from suppliers. It takes a while before you can get a place let you buy freely from retail grocery stores and turn in reciepts. My jobs are more limiting right now.....Ideally I'd love to find a second consistant hours place where I can make a wider variety of desserts......

10. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I have used the black cocoa poweder for finishing truffles with oolong tea.
    Also for a plated dessert in the shape of a cigar,
    the "ashes" were the black cocoa and 10x sugar.
    :bounce:

11. schiznick

schiznick

Hello,

I have used black cocoa powder in my devil's food cakes and in a type of chocolate glaze that I make. I purchased it from Barry Callebaut directly. The only thing is that I had to get a 50 pound bag. The flavor is quite good, but people are sometimes put off by the color because they have never seen a black chocolate glaze. If you want some in depth information about the breakdown of the product itself, let me know and I'll se if I can dig up the specs they sent me.

Schiznick