What is better a Margarita type blender or a stick (immersion) blender? and why?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, Apr 5, 2005.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What is better a Margarita type blender or a stick (immersion) blender? and why?

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Do you mean a regular canister (bar) blender?

It depends on what you want to blend and where you want to blend it. You can put a stick blender directly into a pot of soup or sauce to turn it into a puree; while you can pour the soup into a blender jar and puree it there, it's a messy job that can backfire unless you are careful (leaving enough headroom, etc.). And you can put the ingredients of a smoothie into a jar and buzz it with a stick blender quite easily.

But you can't easily make mayonnaise with a stick blender, or chop nuts, or grind something that doesn't have liquid to help its motion. Those are better done in a bar blender or food processor.

Does this help?

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I can't add anythig to Suzanne except for the fact that a stick blinder converts to a better weapon.
    hey Suz :D

4. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What is a good/affordable stick/immersion blender?

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A Bosch is under $50 right? Comes with small chopping bowl attachment and whisk too I think.

6. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Actually, let me also add in the opposite. I have done the under 50 route with my last three or four blenders.... and for those that can count.....

So, what is the best one to get that allows heavy use and the widest variety of mediums to blend. I had one blender that had a max volume of 200 ml after which the motor bogged, and a 7 liter pot of sweatted spinach, well them motors and plastic really stink when they melt......

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yeah it really depends on what you wanna do. Commercial/stainless is best of course if you can afford it.

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Abe
    are you looking for something to use at home or work?
    Although most items are made with plastic parts you might find something with metal and good rpm. The larger the motor the better.
    Like the others have said, it's equipment, like pots and pans. If you want something to last you have to buy good quality. Beware of the commercial vendors that go cheaper for home(they usually job these out).
    Good luck, and I'll ask my equipment guy tomorrow. We only have the orange monster.
    pan

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    just checked O and they have a thow away Puck SS for around 29.
    factory reconditioned, but I buy this all the time. overstock.com 1010379
    If you follow their CC application they will let you have a 30 day gold mem. without getting a CC. Might save a dollar or two. ship $1 hth

10. hannibal

hannibal

A stick blender is IMHO a thousand times more valuable than the conventional upright jug blender, which I feel is next to useless (note I am not talking about the cylindrical food processors here, which are very handy). I have found that unless food is extremely fluid (e.g. milkshake) it simply will not circulate effectively during the blending process in a jug/canister blender. Anything you can do with a conventionaly blender can be done faster, more efficiently and with less cleanup using a stick blender.

A good purchase is the 'bamix' brand. I think it comes from Sweden, or Germany. They are very powerful, long lasting and sturdy.