what is a japonaise? and other questions...

Joined May 29, 1999
Have a question, have an answer?
What is the weiredest thing a customer/boss asked you for?

japonaise=meringue layers made with ground toasted almonds. great with ganach and butter cream. (light and heavy, yin and yang)

Joined Jul 31, 2000
M Brown,

"japonaise" is actually a item,usually meat that is garnished with Chinese or japonese artichokes. I have not been able to find japonaise as it refers to meringue. Funny though, My pastry chef was also stumped when he heard what I told him it meant. Because he also refers to this almond meringue as you do. I have also heard this type of meringue called Jocoba (sp)But what you refer to I understand as being Fond de succes
Can you enlighten me on where you found that term used for meringue....You've peaked my interest TIA.
cc

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I'm sorry!!Back to the question.

I make this App called seafood martini. In which I place In a martini glass a little chiffinade of lettuce a couple of 16/20 shrimp a little Maryland crab meat and lobster medallions. I plop a little vodka and lemon sorbet in the middle and a little grated horseradish remoularde sauce.....well one time a customer asked one of the servers to ask the Chef if he could take out the vodka from the sorbet because she didn't drink..Guess what the scary part was? The server actually asked me to do it. I looked at him like I was from outer space,slowly smiled....and said just get a life
cc

Joined May 29, 1999
This was the first pastry paper i had to write for RJ Coppage, the great bread and baking instructor at J&W (now at cia). I had no idea where to find it so I asked a sophmore and got the answer, "Look it up!" I must have found it in the Larousse as that was my only source back then. or it was in the avi baking manuals.

but it is almond meringue layers. I have the paper to prove it!!!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
M brown.You never have to prove anything to me! I have a great deal of respect for you.
It is however not in Larousse as a Almond Meringue...it is in Larousse as I stated above. I will keep "looking it up though"
Hey I also went to J&W
:

cc

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Nanna, thank you for your research. I have not seen it done that way..but it sounds very tasty....Those little caramel candies look awfully good

cc

Joined May 29, 1999
Ohmygod! I won the Renshaw Cup a million years ago and part of the prize was a trip to England and weeks seminars at the company headquarters in Mitchum Surry!
Thank you Nanna for posting that site!! I wrote and thanked them!
Wow,

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Japonaise is the almond meringue, as I know it. I never knew about the meat and artichoke one.

I also went to J&W, and Japonaise referred, not only to the meringue, but also the classical torte made with that meringue. Where is my J&W book? I have to find it. Why do I think it had coffee buttercream? Yeah, and it was garnished with a disk of pink marzipan, and ground almonds up the sides? Does this ring a bell for you, mbrown?

By the way, I'm so jealous of anyone who had chef Coppedge. I had Opotzner.

On a sidenote, my assistant (who is 21), garduated from the Connecticut Culinary Institute, and guess who her bread instructor was? Opotzner! That man has a lot of chutzpah! He must be over 80 by now.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Now how cool is that!!!!!I love the way this whole internet thing works sometimes
M Brown That's quite a presteges award.
I'm not worthy
between you and momoreg, you could rule the world
:
cc

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Ok Ok Ok I get it
Look it up in Larousse! You will see the Asian one I am talking about.....
I truly appreciate your help. You guys are the best....I will leave this thread alone (maybe)Or you guys will ring my Cloche!!
cc

Joined May 29, 1999
My calculation, Chef Opotzner is 103! He was a dear man and my first bread instructor, I made knot rolls until the cows came home! Coppage was the advanced bread man, he is probibly the sharpest tack I ever encountered when it came to the art of baking bread.
The Japonise torte you refer to is, by my memory correct. For the hallway I worked with Constance Brown the photographer recording each cake ( I visited this past fall and they are still there!). My first food styling gig. good times........................

Joined Mar 4, 2000
In retrospect, did we really have to do that many knot rolls? I think it was maybe a bit of overkill. But he was a sweet, albeit crotchety man. I don't know of Constance Brown. How long did you stay in food styling? I did it for a couple of weeks, for Chocolatier. It was a lot of fun.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
There is a recipe for Japonais in the Time-Life book Patisserie. It is a almond meringue, of oval shape. The two disk of meringue are sandwich with a buttercream. The sides are aslso brush with buttercream and rolled in almond pralin. You can also have Japonais rolled in white pralin.

There is no reference of this pastry in the Larousse Gastronomique

A ice cream bomb made of iced green tea and peach ice cream is called Japonaise.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Sorry M Brown, by the time I got down the page I forgot you had posted the definition of the Japonais...

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Nice to meet you, LoriB. Welcome to cheftalk.

Since we have so many alumni here, when did you all attend? I went from '84-'86.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
perhaps its just me.

The cake japonaise usually refers to the above reference, i.e. two meringues, sandwiched with butter cream and masked with toasted almonds with praline (very tasty).

Also, to my belief, french cuisine refers to certain foods by name by its aspects, i.e. cuisine japonaise would refer to foods of japanese origin or perhaps those that correspond to french beliefs of being japanese or having japanese characteristics.

Top Bottom