What is a "green" sponge?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by circumnavigate, Feb 26, 2011.

1. circumnavigate

circumnavigate

Exp:
    At home cook
    I got my nice new De Buyer's mineral pan and in the instructions manual it says to clean it with hot water and a "green sponge".

Anyone care to enlighten me as to what a "green sponge" is? I need to scrub this pan.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. notbert

notbert

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My guess would be a "Scotch Brite" type scouring pad.

Edit: I just looked over the manual for the mineral line of pans and I'm sure that's what they meant.  Be careful, however, as they mention using the green sponge only when you have stuck on food. You should only need hot water and an ordinary sponge for regular cleanings, too much scouring could damage the seasoning the pan will develop over time.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I would start with one that is non scratch.

4. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Those Scotch brite things are color-coded.  White is least abrasive (I think), then pink, then blue or green.  Don't quote me on the order, but this is the general idea.

5. transchef

transchef

Exp:
    Sous Chef
  6. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Just as an aside, once your pan is properly cured there shouldn't be much sticking at all. Usually only happens if you work at too high a heat.

I clean my carbon steel pans the same as my cast iron: Hot water, only, and a brush dedicated strictly to that purpose.