What is a galantine?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kpratishnair, Jul 20, 2004.

1. kpratishnair

kpratishnair

What is a galantine?.

I would like to know about all the cuts of vegetables like Brunoise, julienne, macedoine etc.

I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with a list of names of such standardised cuts of vegetables.

pratish

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...&submit=submit
    galantine
    [GAL-uhn-teen; gal-ahn-TEEN]
    A classic French dish that resembles a meat-wrapped PÂTÉ. It's made from poultry, meat or fish that is boned and stuffed with a FORCEMEAT, which is often studded with flavor- and eye-enhancers such as pistachio nuts, olives and TRUFFLES. The stuffed meat roll is formed into a symmetrical loaf, wrapped in CHEESECLOTH and gently cooked in stock. It's then chilled, glazed with aspic made from its own jellied stock and garnished with items (such as pistachios, olives and truffles) that have been included in the filling. Galantines are normally served cold, cut in slices.

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pratish, to answer your question about standard cuts, go to foodnetwork.com and type in your terms ("brunoise", etc.). They have nice, illustrated pages about this.

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Pratish: Wherever you are, do you have access to American books? You can also find descriptions and pictures of standard cuts in textbooks such as The Professional Chef (the CIA text), On Cooking by Sarah Labensky and Alan Hause, and Professional Cooking by Wayne Gisslen.

All that and more can also be found in Larousse Gastronomique. And probably also James Peterson's Essentials of Cooking and Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques.