What is a fair wage?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by alexr, Jan 11, 2005.

1. alexr

alexr

I am the Chef owner of a small (45 seat) upscale bistro about 60 miles north of New York City. My assistant recently left and I have been having a **** of a time finding a replacement. I have started to think that the money I have been offering is not enough. So I will put the question to you. What sounds fair? 52 Hours. Sunday's off. Four Hours on Mondays. Lunch and dinner shifts from 11:00 to 9:00 Tues-Sat. No Menu creation. No ordering. Prep and cook. Give me a clue. :confused:

www.stoneleighcreek.com

2. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Out of curiosity, what were you paying?

3. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    $18.00 Hr. + benefits. Health , Dental , Life, 2 weeks paid vacation , Bonus depending on sales and a liberal food allowance. :chef:

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'll be there Thursday :D :chef:

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I wouldn't put in a dollar figure just to attract people. I'd make sure I have the absolute right candidate and then talk money. Some people value free time over anything else, some value benefits. It all depends.

6. chefnoahchicago

chefnoahchicago

$18 is fair in any city. I agree that you should look at the person and skills then talk about money. There are a lot of hungry chefs looking for work with the benifits offered it seems more than fair. You might want to talk to the right person about a creative outlet over time. Good luck!!!

7. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I concur. That seems like a fair wage/benefit package. Maybe the right person has not yet come along.

8. alexr

alexr

Sorry....are you serous??

9. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Is that $700 - $800 a week gross ? Any benefits ?

10. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Is the assistant position only prep and cook ? I am sure there are other responsabilities that come with the [ assistant position ] ? Or is the position more like a sous and you as chef just do not want to share ? Why don't you look for a cook and pay him accordingly and you as chef do more prep and cook yourself ? Maybe then you would reconsider what a [ assistant is worth ]. :chef:

11. alexr

alexr

Gross Salary. No benefits..... so I see where this is going. Not enough? Let me give you a run down with your numbers....$900 week gross salary (My cost $1008) Health Insurance with Dental and Life (single $490, couple $750, Family $1160) per month. Two weeks paid vacation ($2000 for a replacement). Bonus?? 2 percent? 3 percent? $1500. So the cost for this one person would run me close to $70K? How do you make those numbers work?

12. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do you have insurance through the business ? :chef:

13. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe you just need a cook who lives at home with his / her parents , Maybe 2 part timers . Explore more options , local schools ? Retiree's etc... Asking someone for 52 hrs. a week is more in line with a mgt. position. One Chefs Opinion. :chef:

14. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So how many people do you really need? Seriously, if you're doing 60 covers a night you don't need more than 1.5 guys. How much hands on involvement do you have with the kitchen right now?

15. alexr

alexr

Good point! Maybe I could deal with some part time people instead.

16. t.haws

t.haws

I would find out what the average local wage is for cooks, and then offer a little more. Part-timers to begin with, the better one will rise up. I'v found Hispanic cooks fill this opportunity perfectly. Be creative.

17. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It may be that Hispanic cooks are different and possibly a good match for your organization, but I wouldn't discriminate. Let's just stop right there.

18. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    AGREED !!! :chef:

19. t.haws

t.haws

This wasn't said as a discriminatory , or disparaging remark towards any group. I have over 15 years in the restaurant and hotel industry, and mostly what I've experienced is that kids comming out of culinary school have this delusion that they are entitled to middle and upper tier salaries, don't want to start at the bottom(just read some of the other related threads here), feel the need to "express their creativity". Everyone wants to start out a F&W top 10 chef. But the REALITY(again, REALITY) is that all kitchens operate on a tight budget, and line pay has ceilings. This is known as business, and those that don't follow , fail. In most major cities, Hispanics are the backbone of the foodservice industry, this is fact. Why? because thgey walk in without the preconcieved ego and demands, and are willing to work and appreciate the opportunities given to them. Think about it, how many kids graduate from all of the culinary programs across the country each year? If you survey a random selection of resaurants,high end to low end, you'll find a a low percentage of them working there. The resaurant industry is not huggy feel good like on tv or in the magazines, itsa business, with tight profit margins. Wake up.

20. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    OK. We're done with this.