What is a 35% cream?

Joined Sep 16, 2009
See, this is what I like about this forum... you learn somthing new everytime.  I always thought whipped cream was just whipped cream... Now I know there's the light variety!

Joined Sep 18, 2008
I always hesitate to disagree, however, according to my sources:
  • Half and Half = 12% butterfat
  • Single Cream = 20% butterfat
  • Light Cream = 20% (range 18-30%) butterfat
  • Whipping Cream = 30%
  • Heavy Cream = 36-38% butterfat
  • Clotted Cream = 55-60% butterfat

Joined Nov 5, 2009
If a recipe calls for heavy cream and the store sells only whipping cream can I use it?  I want to make cream biscuits but cannot find heavy cream in my area

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Quote:
  • Whipping Cream = 30%
Whipping Cream and Light Whipping Cream are the same thing - you're not disagreeing. They can be anywhere between 30% to 36%. Above 36% and up to 42% it becomes Heavy Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream (again, same thing).

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008
Quote:
If a recipe calls for heavy cream and the store sells only whipping cream can I use it?  I want to make cream biscuits but cannot find heavy cream in my area
Heavy cream is fattier than whipping cream. If possible find heavy whipping cream, or adjust your recipe for the lighter "whipping cream".

Joined Feb 4, 2010
  • Whipping Cream = 30%
This is correct -- let me add one more item: on private dairy farms in England, butterfat in clotted cream can go up to 65% -- that's really rich. Butter has about 85% butterfat.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
In the UK we have

Single cream (thin, best for adding to coffee, or to pour over a very rich dessert)
Double cream (thick)
Thick double cream (the above but 'stiffer')
Clotted cream (the best is from Cornwall)

Joined Nov 6, 2004
     Hi all,

I know when I'm buying cream I look for something that's only been single pasteurized, instead of double pasteurized.  To me, it has more flavor...more like a real dairy product instead of tasteless thick milk.  In the U.S., Oberweis actually has a pretty good heavy cream (much better than the supermarket varieties that I've tried.  Last time I bought it the price was around $10.00 for a half gallon.

Mmmmmmm.....clotted cream /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif   What a treat every once in a while.

dan

Joined Jan 27, 2010
 Wow amazing, I didn't know it was a whipped cream. Like what nichole said, this is the first time I learned about that. Thank you for your replies..amazing

Joined Sep 5, 2008
 Wow amazing, I didn't know it was a whipped cream. Like what nichole said, this is the first time I learned about that. Thank you for your replies..amazing
Whipping cream, not whipped cream. Whipped cream is whipping cream that's been whipped, so it's full of air and is used as a topping for desserts, ice creams, etc...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom