what in **** is a vegetable marrow??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redace1960, Apr 27, 2005.

1. redace1960

redace1960

(i'm u.s based, by the way.) i can't find a satisfactory answer to this. is it a zuchinni? a cucumber? some other cucurbit? a special preparation of vegetables? any member of the cucurbit family? a specific member that is'nt readily available in the u.s?
    depending on the source i've gotten all these answers. anyone have the straight 411?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yellow squash. They served it on the Titanic. :)

3. kerryclan

kerryclan

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Ooh maybe I'm wrong then. When I made that last dinner on the Titanic I remember I used yellow squash.

5. kerryclan

kerryclan

Actually, you are probably right, Kuan. The second definition says "creamy' to green skin. That could be yellowish.

And you did a great job on that last meal, I remember the squash was wonderful! :eek:

6. redace1960

redace1960

i traded my doggie bag for a life preserver.
    -i live so close to b.c i add an occasional "eh?" to my sentences. we get all the b.c. cooking shows, and time and again someone will use a 'vegetable marrow' in whatever.....and it's always a different vegetable. usually zucchini, but often cukes and on one occasion pattypan squash.
    i'm not a big squash fan, but now im curious. as eric idle would say, "wotzit like?"

7. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

LOL

[​IMG]

also read this too

http://www.gotonursery.com/squash.html

Great squash listing in general.

The marrows can be used interchangeably with zucchini. I like them better though. THEY TASTE SWEET. And they are great grilled.

:D