What I would ask a chef... if I knew one.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by garlicbreath, Nov 1, 2016.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I am an amateur cook at best, but food has always been a passion of mine. I am a student of industrial design (product design) and I am currently trying to get an idea of how I could enhance the cooking experience for your everyday American by encouraging more thoughtful time spent in the kitchen through a product or suite of products. 

Since I don't know many culinary enthusiasts/professionals, I thought I'd post a few questions here. Feel free to answer with as much or little detail as you'd like. If there's something I didn't ask about that you think may be helpful, I'm all ears!

Discussion questions:

- What would you say to people who have absolutely no interest in cooking to change their mind?

- If you have kids, is there anything you do with them to spark an interest in cooking?

- What would you say is the worst thing about American food culture?

- Is there anything that you think would improve American food culture/food consumption habits?

More about YOU:

- I hope it's safe to assume that you have certain rituals that you practice habitually in the kitchen. Are there any that would say are     unique to you?

- Do these rituals change when you move from your home kitchen to a professional setting or vice versa? How so?

Any relevant links or resources are also welcome! Thanks for reading, please share your thoughts!

2. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I guess I'll be the first to bite.. even if this is for a marketing study.. which is seems to be.

- What would you say to people who have absolutely no interest in cooking to change their mind?

There is a very small population that will not find comfort or joy in food.. to them you can't sell it. It's just a necessity and they don't need their water flavored. Let's rule those people out to start. The other group, might be rejecting cooking because they are busy.. or because they never learned how and it seems too daunting a task.

- If you have kids, is there anything you do with them to spark an interest in cooking?

I don't have kids but I have had kids around and included them in cooking adventures. They have to have an interest.. I taught them proper knife technique.. included them in prep.. I think mostly kids want to be included and feel like they are a part of the process. If they have no interest to start.. you need to educate them on food as a consumer first, then they can work on production.

Without a doubt.. High Fructose Corn Syrup and Salt. Followed by deep fat frying. Those things are DELICIOUS.. and cheap. We are paying a heavy price for that.

- Is there anything that you think would improve American food culture/food consumption habits?

The answer is complicated. First and foremost would be to re-establish a home-taker.. someone that cooks broths from chicken parts rather than buying a canned stock.. someone that cares about what is going into the mouths of their loved ones. If that is not possible we need to continue to educate people on the dangers of high sodium and sugar intake. We should provide programs.. meal recipes etc. as a nation (USA) to help single parents and busy care takers to provide nutrition in a healthy manner.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    polycentric and dectra like this.
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm not a chef but I can contribute my thoughts as a home cook.

What would you say to people who have absolutely no interest in cooking to change their mind?

Why would I try to make someone change their mind?  People know their own minds.  My best friend couldn't boil rice, never had any interest in learning anything about cooking.  Then she had a kid and had to learn.  People do what they want to do and it's not up to me to change their minds.

My son is 5 years old.  He helps with grocery shopping, setting the table, and doing little helpful things in the kitchen such as shelling peas or dunking the bread into the milk mixture when making french toast.  He watches as I chop and nibbles on veggies.  I'll teach him the basics of putting a meal together.  But the most important thing I can do is to make him a good eater.  An eater who understands where food comes from, and how to put together a meal that is as health and balanced as it is delicious.  

Processed food.  Enough already!  

I think Americans underestimate the ability that kids have to eat sophisticated food.  I'm sick and tired of chicken tenders, mac n cheese and hot dogs being pedaled on kids.  I wish there was no "kid food." I wish the schools would make healthier meals.  And why does my kindergartner have to contemplate chocolate milk as a choice every day?  It makes me be the bad guy who tells him not to drink it but I don't understand why it's necessary to have chocolate milk in school.  

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What would you say to people who have absolutely no interest in cooking to change their mind?

Come into the kitchen and talk with me while I fix dinner.

If you have kids, is there anything you do with them to spark an interest in cooking?

Come into the kitchen and talk with me while I fix dinner.

What would you say is the worst thing about American food culture?

Processed food.

Is there anything that you think would improve American food culture/food consumption habits?

Less cooking with processed food. Families in the kitchen pitching in together with cooking. Families sitting down to the table together, taking their time to eat and actually talking to each other.

5. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
      This.   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

morning glory likes this.