What hobbies do any of you have??

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by rat, Jul 13, 2013.

1. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Part of keeping me from the loony bin is having a hobby that is not food related, I have an old Pontiac convertible 455 that I restored over the last few decades. Its a good way to blow off steam after a long week.

2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I am running a lodge, so I am not cooking full time and that's why cooking is still one of my hobbies.

Another one is fishing, just grabbing my boat, watching the animals around the river, an ice cold beer in my hand and a rod in the water :)

3. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That sounds awesome Butzy, I remember working in the Cayman Islands and the fishing there, probably caught and released 300 tarpon in three years. Even a crappy day fishing is better than a great day at work. I would post a picture of my car but cant figure out how to do it here.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  4. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I've been a woodworker all my life, since I joined a Cub Scout troop at about 9 years  old. The denmaster had a woodshop - a rarity in those days - and taught us to use all the machines that didn't have the ability to cut off an arm. Been doing it ever since (still have all my arms, not to mention fingers.)  Went from workbenches to picnic tables to real furniture as my skills and equipment improved.  Both boys grew up with it, and are now more-than-competent furniture builders. They also do their own house repairs, remodeling,  framing, drywall, painting, wallpapering, electrical and plumbing work as well as most appliance repairs. God knows how much we've all saved over the years. And nothing has collapsed or caught fire, so far.

One month after my daughter bought and moved into her first house, she called me and said "DAAAAAAD... why didn't you teach me the stuff you taught the boys??"  I could only remind her that she never showed the slightest interest in "that stuff" and wanted nothing to do with it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif   To make matters worse, she shortly married a lawyer who still can't change the proverbial light bulb.  He has proved a magnificent Mr. Mom, though (he hated practicing law, anyway) raising two wonderful daughters while she has pursued a very successful business career and brought home the bacon.

So it's working out pretty good, so far.

Everybody needs a hobby.

Mike

spikedog likes this.
  5. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I paint 40mm white metal figures and construct vignettes of American civil war  and Scots battles. Me and OH are also reconstructing a dilapidated 17th century house/Epicerie (grocery store) in Le Pas, Pay-de-la-Loire. Just south of the Normandy border in France. We're there every 6 -8 weeks for a fortnight of solid graft. It's gonna take a few more years to get it right, cos we just do what we can when we have the money.The rest of the time we get on with the mundane stuff...Pointing, my latest hobby...I got all the tools for Christmas...Had the best tutor you can have...Youtube...Seriously, I practiced on our crumbling wall here in Scotland and the results are non too shabby.

I agree Mike, we do all need a hobby. I know folk that REALLY do, but they seem to think that doing something for themselves is a guilty pleasure they don't deserve. Its affy sad.

6. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My hobby is blogging about Art & literature. I enjoy writing book reviews and finding rare photographs and snippet quotes of famous people from days gone by. I enjoy the fact that I keep all those things organized in one place so I can often refer to them and not have to remember where it is I read or saw what.

My secondary hobby for the past 2 1/2 years has been learning French. It's been on the back-burner lately because of the summer, but it  came in tremendously handy when I visited France last October, contacted the flu as soon as I got there and had to ask the pharmacist if it was ok to mix a particular brand medicine with Ambien CR. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

For me it's one of those languages that I have to constantly study so it stays fresh in my mind because I have no one to practice with in person.

Eta: I also enjoy playing pool, and I'm a shutterbug.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  7. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Bughut...

...40mm white metal figures and construct vignettes of American civil war  and Scots battles.

B'  could you describe a little more what that means?  Sounds interesting, but I have no idea what it's about.                       

Thanks

Mike

8. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I always have at least two tapestry projects on the go.

9. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would love to learn to weave tapestry.

10. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    C/W dancing, Two Step, Waltz, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Country Cha-cha, Rhumba, oh, and a little line dancing upon occasion.

11. chefbigmike

chefbigmike

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I am great full enough to live in between the Teton and Yellowstone National parks. So currently I hike or go cliff jumping nearby. On nights I cant sleep I hike to our hot springs and take a dip. that's about all the non-work hobbies I have time for.

12. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It is always the chefs who do nothing or who have no other passions in their time off I am hesitant to work for.

13. donaldosborne78

donaldosborne78

Exp:
    Food Writer
    My hobby is biking, I love going out. Specialy now (I have allergy to house dust), and this is like inhalation to me /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The study of cats and kittens and their behavior . Giving a foster course at a local animal shelter and helping people pick the right cat for themselves and their lifestyle

15. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's great, nice to give something back!!

16. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    spikedog likes this.
  17. cuppycake777

cuppycake777

Exp:
    At home cook
    My hobby is ....

Sewing!

mostly baking & cooking. Try out new recipes..

or talk to fish?!

Hahaha..

I love games!!!

PSP! yahooooo!

18. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I like to wrench on my car. I finally just picked up a MIG welder, tire remover and balancing rig. I recently learned to do my own alignments too. I'm finally completely 100% self reliant when it comes to car repairs and modifications and I never have to go to a shop ever again (well, I still have to do emissions). It's a great feeling!

I've built a '91 Acura Legend coupe into a weekend track car. 

Obviously by the pic, one of my hobbies is racing/tracking my car too.

Another hobby...

I cooked at a few different ski resorts over the years. I started snowboarding when I was a wee tot. But working at the ski resorts got me out nearly every day. I considered going pro. And I've ridden with several pros over the years. Some big names in the sport. I started doing a lot of Big Mountain and freeride type riding. I also got really good at freestyle. It got to the point where I could pull a 1080. As far as big mountain aspect, I was doing some really sketchy stuff. I also got really good at going really, really, really fast on a snowboard. I've made a few grassroots videos with other talented friends, mostly showcasing freestyle riding. But yeah, snowboarding was really big on my priorities list for many years. Now I don't do it so much anymore and here's why...  I ended up hurting my knees pretty badly on 3 different occasions. But, I refused to get surgery because I know so many people who've had the ACL or MCL surgery. All it did to them was give them weak knees. So, I stuck it out every time I got injured and healed on my own. Which would take about a year at a time. Now my knees are really strong again so I'm glad I never got surgery, but still... years at a time I'd be hobbling around... I also survived 3 avalanches... One was really scary and I was buried quite good (but still able to pull myself out). A few people I've met over the years, including a really well known local pro, and another guy I looked up to my whole life...my idol growing up, were killed in avalanches. Also, a good friend and co-worker from Australia, a really talented snowboarder, broke his back. So, after a awhile it lost it's luster for me. But I still do enjoy going up to Snowbasin every once in a while and shredding it up for old times sake.    

I've also picked up another fun little hobby recently... I learned to make small carbon fiber parts. 

Another budding little hobby I'm picking up... thanks to this forum... is kitchen knives. Thanks!

I also used to play the drums.  

Oh yeah, and I'm starting to develop a "home modding" hobby. Which BTW is not nearly as fun as car modding, but my home is starting to look nicer. ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  19. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef

I'm not used to showing my pieces at this early stage, but hopefully it gives you an idea of the end result. I can't access my files right now, or i would show you some finished pieces. 

What you're seeing is the 8th Georgia being ambushed. I'm still placing the figures, hence the blue tack. The rock formation on the hill is just about finished and the figures just need a dry brushing. then I'll build up the scenery and secure/ finish the base. when im happy with the result, i sell them. I have a Louisiana Tigers one on the go that im really happy with...They're stealing pigs...As they did...often.  Lots of research and lots of work to make them interesting...This one's quite emotional. The sergeant catches the standard, as the bearer is shot and falls back, dropping it. He's away making dinner at the moment...I'm working on him.

In the UK figures are normally 28mm for wargaming. USA they prefer 54mm for vignettes. I tend to stick to 40mm. I win both ways.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  20. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's cool bughut!!!!