What has happened here.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The food interest cycle waned a bit. Forums are slower generally as social media picked up.

Social media tends to be more "broadcast"centric where you're sending out info and images. But usually just surface depth blurbs, not discussion.

Forums are more solution oriented. So more detail, more how-to discussion. Youtube and such are rising in this in my estimation. As they are well oriented to the visual part of the solution. Reddit does this well also. Chef talk has always maintained a very high quality of topical discussion and lower chattiness than other options.

I think traffic has picked up in the last two months. New members who actually post, not just spam accounts.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
For me it’s the invasive ads that has me posting less. On a phone, even one like mine with a big screen, the ads makes reading or replying difficult.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
brianshaw brianshaw ... I'm not positive ... but I think I saw something somewhere a while ago that explained why advertisements were important. I believe that it suggested to us that if we didn't want to see those advertisements we could become "subscribers" to
ChefTalk
and that our "subscription" would ... for those of us that did subscribe ... remove the need/reason for those advertisements. ... I could of course be wrong ... but I do know that other forum boards have that deal.
I've never had the excess $$$ to become a subscriber to anything ... or maybe I'm just a cheap rat-bastard.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
There are a number of things that have happened kokopuffs kokopuffs . Here is a quick overview:

1. ChefTalk has been around since 1999 and it has has grown every year. That means every year it gets more expensive to "keep the lights on" to keep things running. That ads are how we keep things going plain and simple.
  2. A few years ago we were on a platform called huddler and that was abandoned and we were pretty much on our own. We moved to the best platform that was available without having to hire a team of people to build a new platform. The community platforms are complex software applications and building our own was not something we could afford. Nor could we afford to maintain it once we built it. ChefTalk runs on a shoe string budget and that often dictates what happens.
  3. This past year we felt it was time for a much needed face lift so that is what we did. Part of that update was trying to create a better mobile experience.
  4. As for the traffic as phatch phatch stated it goes in cycles. Now it is the summertime and most everyone has been in quarantine so sitting inside on the computer is a low priority. Getting out before the winter comes is.
  5. Lastly Google plays into it. They constantly update their algorithm and that affects traffic.
  6. To phatch phatch point people seem to gravitate these days to more social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and creating their own communities.

Joined May 25, 2015
We moved to the best platform that was available without having to hire a team of people to build a new platform.

Nothing wrong with using an "off the shelf" platform. Even forums run by people with deep pockets do the same thing, why spend money when you can find what you want already done for you these days. Unless you are some big company with specific requirements it doesn't pay to roll your own. Chef Talk couldn't be better in my opinion.

I believe that it suggested to us that if we didn't want to see those advertisements we could become "subscribers" to and that our "subscription" would ... for those of us that did subscribe ... remove the need/reason for those advertisements. ... I could of course be wrong ... but I do know that other forum boards have that deal.

Somebody member might have mentioned it but that was about it.

For me it’s the invasive ads that has me posting less. On a phone, even one like mine with a big screen, the ads makes reading or replying difficult.

I find working with any site, not just this one, on a mobile device is pretty much an exercise in frustration. Even those without ads. If I'm away from a computer and have time to kill I may take out my phone just to see if there is anything new. But I wouldn't consider using it for any replies or creating new topics.

You can always tell when someone used their phone when you see a wall of text, no punctuation and misspellings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom