What happens if I freeze already frozen salmon?

Joined Dec 19, 2014
If I buy fresh wild caught king salmon that has already been frozen, what happens if I freeze it when I get it home, and thaw it some time later for cooking?

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Thanks. How long can I keep the salmon in the fridge? Or is that impossible to answer, as it would depend on how long the store had it thawed?

Joined Feb 8, 2009
First of all its not fresh if it was already frozen and thawed. Buy what you want to eat for a few days. Always buy fresh and then freeze. Your better off asked your fish monger if they have some thats still frozen. Most places will take out the frozen fish and let it thaw. They will have most in the back thats still frozen...

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Thanks.

First of all its not fresh if it was already frozen and thawed.

True.

Your better off asked your fish monger if they have some thats still frozen.

Problem is - if I buy a lg. piece that's still frozen, I have to thaw the entire thing at once. Unless there is some way to cut frozen salmon? I don't have a bandsaw :)

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Thanks.

First of all its not fresh if it was already frozen and thawed.

True.

Your better off asked your fish monger if they have some thats still frozen.

Problem is - if I buy a lg. piece that's still frozen, I have to thaw the entire thing at once. Unless there is some way to cut frozen salmon? I don't have a bandsaw :)
You don't need a band saw. A good bread knife will do the trick very nicely. :)

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Riff, The problem with fish is, it is at it's best when fresh. The quality drops a lot after its frozen and thawed. Talk to your fish guy and ask if they can cut the portions you want from the larger filets. If that can't be accomplished then thaw it just enough to put a serrated knife to it like Virgil said. I'm really just concerned about fresh then thaw, then freeze and then thaw when ready to eat. You'll be surprised how much the fish counter can do for you it asked......Good Luck....ChefBillyB

Top Bottom