Chef Forum banner

What Happened????

781 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  laurenlulu 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am new to the Forum and have a question.   Mu mother is a fantastic cook and she has never had this to happen to her before. 

She was making Chicken and Dumplings.  She had her hot chicken broth, and it looked a little thin, so she added some margarine

to it.  She had her pot on the lit burner and started rolling her dumplings out.  The pot still had not come to a rolling boil, but mom went ahead and started putting her Dumplings into the hot broth.  When she did, the liquid in the pot, just mushroomed and foam started going everywhere!   

She has made Chicken and Dumplings like this countless times and NEVER had anything like this to happen. Would anyone have an explanation.   The only thing I could come up with was:  I asked her was her broth cold when she put the butter in, thinking it could have solidified on top.  The broth was hot.   

I would appreciate any help!!!

Thank you!!!

See less See more
#10 ·
     I can't help but wonder how to put this knowledge to good use. If you wanted something to foam over,

self rising flour would seem a good way to do it. Could be useful for a science fair project like an erupting volcano but it might also make an interesting presentation technique for the right dish. 

#11 ·
The knowledge was of great use to me, I was covering a building (literally walk in cooking blind not knowing even what their stock looks like), it never occurred to me that someone would have self rising in the flour bin and no AP. After that eruption I asked at EVERY building what kind of flour is in the bin LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.