What good is an office?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Ever notice that the chef's office is always the smallest office in the whole building? Not only is it the smallest, it's also the sous chef's hangout, it's where everyone goes to use the phone, it serves as extra storage space for all kinds of small utensils, paper hats nobody knows where they came from, pencils, pens, recipe cards, weird notes to the chef asking for days off litter the table, unreadable messages.... :D

Heh.. to be a chef.

Kuan

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Ooohhhh, it's so much fum to be a manager, delving into everyone's personality quirks!

Kuan, are you coming to Denver this winter? If so I'll give you my new telno.

-T

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
CC, I was there at your office. Didn't you see that note? OH shoot! Someone ate on your desk and didn't clear the plate. It's probably underneath that napkin over there. :)

T,

This year it's my little Elfin's turn to come visit me for Xmas. Maybe next year!

Kuan

Joined Dec 12, 2000
have you ever noticed that the chef's office is way smaller than the washrooms as well ??

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Well, my office is being remodeled... one of the 4 walls is being moved IN 11" to accomodate a new grill. So, yes, technically I am getting a newly rennovated office... just smaller.
"Kitchen office... always the afterthought" :rolleyes:

Joined Sep 21, 2001
We have an office at our house and an office at the restaurant. They are both nice. I get up to the rest. office for a few minutes a day and that is pretty much it. I just noticed this week that my 365 day desk calendar still said Sept. 15th.
So I would rather just come home and do my office stuff. And I like the computer at home better.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
My poor Chef doesn't even have an office. Just a desk and filing cabinet stuck in the corner by the salad station. He changes in the store room down stairs.....lets just say, that's not very private...

Joined May 26, 2001
When I was Kitchen Manager at Dufour, my "office" was a stool and a bookcase that someone had built (without measuring much, apparently ;) ). Whenever I needed to use a computer (like, every day!) I had to wait until someone in the administrative office was out to lunch so that I could use theirs. I would have loved to get in for the 2 hours before they showed up at 9 (I started at 7), but I was not considered as worthy of being given a key to ANYTHING. :mad: But that's longer and longer ago :D

Now I have a great office, with 3 computers, 2 printers, a scanner, copier, fax, and its own full bathroom, kitchen facilities, meeting/dining area, couches, sound system -- even a bedroom! Yes, friends, I work at home now.:D :D

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Office, boy do I wish! I shouldn't complain though, I do have a closet, literally. Enough room for a few book shelves (nailed high up on the wall), a desk (a sheet of plywood nailed to the walls), a laptop computer (no room for a full sized one), 4 mail slots (all packed to the hilt), and a chair for the sous chef (if he sits half in-half out of the office while I am there). Oh, yes, I almost forgot, the ancient coffee cup with coffee that once molded, but that was so long ago the mold has petrified. I keep wanting to get rid of it, but I think it has outlasted a number of chefs, and who am I to get rid of something with so much seniority?!

Joined Mar 12, 2001
At my last job, my office was a shelf against the wall-about 60 cm wide, with a telephone and a stack of books, papers etc. Above it on the wall there was a pinboard, and jammed up in front of my shelf there was a chest freezer.
So to do my orders at the end of the night I would sit on the chest freezer with an ordering pad on my lap. This also placed me right between the pass and the door into the restaurant...

Joined Nov 21, 2001
offices? you guys got offices? wow! the last job i had as a chef, the only "office" i had was the employees rest room with the phone dragged in - all of your offices sound pretty luxurious compared to that. :) oh, and did i mention the booze was stored in there, too? a truly lovely set up.

Joined Dec 1, 2002
Somebody said they had pens and pencils in their office?????
That's impressive, even if they are nailed down.
The best office is the walk-in, it's my favorite hang-out, and it keeps it lookin' good.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I always have pens and pencils in my office. They don't last long-minutes sometimes, but then I just go and raid the main office and walk back to my desk with a handful. Or if I am really hard up, I gather all the pens and pencils I have taken home, sitting behind my ear as I leave.

Top Bottom