What does French pastry means according to british people? US people?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by arnaud b, Mar 2, 2015.

1. arnaud b

arnaud b

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hello!
    I'm Arnaud, a french amateur chef.
    I would like to know what kind of dessert you consider as emblematic of french pastry.

So, what kind of recipes is considerated by british people like french pastry?
    What ingredients are "frenchies" according to you? (rapsberry? caramel? meringue? other things?)

Merci beaucoup !

2. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Praline, praline, praline.
    Pate a choux, creme brulee, baba au rhum, Napoleon (or other things with puff), Mont Blanc.

3. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Millefeuille, Opera, Miserable.

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Anything made in the style of French Style   is considered French Pastry(Rich with all butter) It's not so much the ingredients, it's what you do with them.!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. everydaygourmet

everydaygourmet

Exp:
    Chef/Owner/Operator
    lol, had a friend who's name was Candy, she had a friend that I nick named Praline, she thought it was cute but I called her that because she was as sweet as Candy, but half nuts, true story. Also wouldn't you consider that more Cajun than French? 

Was thinking more along the lines of Crème Brûlée, SoufflésCrepe Suzette or Crepe Cake, Macarons.

6. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Pralines would be a southern treat, but praline paste (using hazelnuts) as an ingredient seems to be in half of the French desserts I have tried.