What does 40 year old Cheddar taste like?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, May 14, 2013.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Cheddar is my favorite, for a mass market cheese Cabot Farms Special Reserve is decent and very sharp.

3. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Don't know never had it.

4. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Me either.

5. dledmo

dledmo

Exp:
    At home cook
    How does it compare to Tillamok Extra Sharp?  I love a nice sharp cheddar on my burgers.

6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I love a good cheese.
    Having said that I need to note that I am no where near an expert nor snobbish in my choices.
    I have tried both the brands mentioned above and IMO both were neck and neck except the Cabot was a bit rubbery .
    Just sayin'

mimi

7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Tillamok extra sharp is about the same as Cabots extra sharp white cheddar. The Reserve is a lot sharper, dryer crumbly texture.

8. dledmo

dledmo

Exp:
    At home cook
    I will look for the Reserve and give that a try.  Thanks for the help, now I'm getting hungry for a good burger! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Kuan, I haven't been there for many years. I read about this cheese being tasted, but I wouldn't have the nerve to put it in my mouth. My French friends say I eat cheese as a child does (and I do NOT mean Julia!). No stinky cheese for this girl. I've had seven-year-old cheddar, though: crunchy with crystals, tart and rich. Mmmmm....

I have to say I'm embarassingly parochial in that I buy Wisconsin cheddar when I have the choice. No Cabot's for this adopted Wisconsinite. There's too much good cheese made here: Clock Shadow Creamery in Milwaukee; Widmer's in Theresa; Carr Valley in LaValle (that's Sid Cook's place); Chalet Cheese Cooperative in Monroe.... and that's just a very few in one corner of the state. 

10. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I gotta say I really really want to go to this place.  :)  I'd probably go broke and die of too much cheese!  I'm a near novice at cheese but I love it so much.

11. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I am not a stinky cheese fan either. Give me sharp hard cheeses.

12. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have yet to taste a cheese i didn't like, except for anything processed, or camembert, and even with camembert I believe I still can acquire a taste for it.