What do you wear?

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Hello, I am wondering what those of you who cook for a living but are not professional chefs wear. Doesn't anyone make clothing that says, "no, we're not chefs, but we're still proud of what we do?"

Joined Aug 29, 2000
My kitchen outfit includes a tastefully faded blue apron, accented with splotches and greasy spots that no amount of Tide or Spray-'n-Wash will take out. Footwear: for everyday, I'm likely to be barefoot (no lectures, please) or wearing whatever I wore to work. When we have company, I may add a set of three little pewter pins (spatula, fork, T-bone steak) that I picked up on sale at a local kitchenware store. I'll also wear some clog-like shoes if it's a big mishigas meal like Thanksgiving. One last touch: there's that distinctive glaze of sweat on my brow for just the right glow! :p

Joined Dec 12, 2000
When I'm at work I wear my uniform, which is a black work shirt and black rugby pants and a green apron, and I also have a black beret. at home though it's another story, I'm usually only wearing a pair of jeans when I'm in the house, if I decide to cook out in the yard, I'll do the shirt and shoes thing, but inside, with no copmpany coming over, I don't worry as much.

Joined Mar 7, 2001
I wear 5 different kinds of pants white with red peppers, fresh veggies, roses,tropical parrots,and black. Head gear right now is a bandana and the top is a white t shirt. Clean aprons every day and to go out into the dining room I have a pressed white Chefs coat with my name embroidered on, head gear for going out into the dining room is a baseball cap with the logo of the restaurant on it. I have also cooked in costume for a victorian tea at christmas time. As time goes by I realize it is my confidence that makes great not my uniform. :D :D :D When my bakery opens I am looking at a logo polo type shirt to be worn by the staff.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Love denim. Chef's jacket and pants. My footwear gear consists of Indian mocassins!

;)

Sorry, I don't cook for a living either. I misread...AGAIN!

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Oops... I don't really cook for a living, but life would be really boring with out cooking! Sorry... didn't read PastaChef's original post too closely. :rolleyes:

Joined Nov 19, 1999
But Mezzaluna, I loved your post. Especially the no shoes part. If I could work with no shoes I'd be in heaven :) Snakelady1, you're a pro and deserve to wear real chef's clothes. I've been wearing white hospital scrubs, and of course, a clean apron every day and sometimes twice. Does that outfit sound appropriate? I also wear good shoes, also white with prescription inserts. People sometimes mistake me as a health care worker :(

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
In the morning when it's time to make scones I'm usually in my pj.

After that I ressemble Mezza except my apron is green and I have no pewter pins.

I would love to have is something resembling a surgeon's cap to keep my hair out of the soup.

Joined Nov 19, 1999
LOL, Iza! If you want to go that route, there are hair nets. My first boss tried to pull that one on me. After a three year battle, and her term was up, I showed her that hair restraints include rubber bands, scrunchies, hair spray and barrettes. Then I told her that she was jealous because we had more hair than she did. Whoops! :) Oh well, she WAS leaving. My hair is long, so I wear it in a pony tail at work. I think at home I'd win the frump contest, hands down. I cook in a nightgown and slippers. :D :D :D

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I know Pasta but a hairnet wouldn't look as cool. ;)

I usually have my hair in a pony tail but I still manage to loose one or two.

I did enjoy your hair story! :)

Joined Dec 12, 2000
Iza, I think your probably looking for a commis cap, I have a few of them, I think they are the best hats for the kitchen, you can check out your local uniform supply place, and if you can't find one there, they are real easy to make, I get my mom to sew me different ones for different events, like on Canada Day I got her to make a whole bunch for all the guys at work, out of a maple leaf print fabric.

Joined Dec 8, 1999
I wear a chef's coat and "chefwear" brand chef's pants. Pastachef, feel free to buy some chef's coats, unless you find the scrubs to be more comfortable. I've got cooks working for me (I'm a sous chef) that wear chef's coats that are nowhere near to deserving wearing one as you! :D

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Thank you, Greg. That was sweet of you to say. But I would feel like an imposter dressing up in mommie's clothes :) I have too much respect for the title - Chef. I guess the scrubs will be okay.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thanks CoolJ, I'll look for commis cap. I'll check if I can find a pattern at the fabric store.

It would look great with fabric like those:

ahenry1944a_sushiwhite.jpg

mbc1178sweetdelights.jpg

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Iza ]

Joined Dec 12, 2000
Iza, here's a pattern for chef clothes, there isn't a commis cap in this one, but I'm sure you'll be able to find one, my pattern was made by cutting a cap apart and tracing it on to a couple of pieces of photo copy paper. Anyway the pattern to look for is McCalls #2233.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Thanks for the pattern number, CoolJ! It hadn't occurred to me to make clothing for cooking (notice I didn't say 'chef's clothes'- like Pastachef, I take the title too seriously). Time to drag out the sewing machine and have a little fun in time for Thanksgiving dinner! Pastachef, I had to laugh with you at the idea of cooking in a nightgown: in winter, a pink flannel one is my at-home uniform.

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Oooo, Mezzaluna...I'd be so jealous if I could see those cooking clothes you're going to make. I hope you can post a photo. It's getting close to that 'flannel' nightgown time of year. I LOVE flannel nightgowns :)

Joined Mar 12, 2001
I wear normal chef's pants, a black tee-shirt, black commis hat and a long, usually black apron.
I also have a couple of blue and white stripy aprons that they wear in England.
A couple made their way back home with me. In Australia if the head chef decides that chef's whites are the uniform then everyonr wears them, whether you are qualified or not. But increasingly, people are going with tee-shirts etc.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thank you CoolJ! I'll go shopping tomorrow. If McCall makes cooking clothes, surely other pattern companies do. Maybe I'll fnid the cap in it. Shouldn't be too hard to sew.

If I can find fabric that cool Pastachef I'll try to make you a commis cap too. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom