What do you think of the microwave. Are you for or against using it and why?

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Microwave is a form of  Kinetic energy which causes food to vibrate so fast that it creates heat. Like rubbing to stcks together . There is no x-ray or changing radiation waves involved.  It is more dngerous to stand in front of a large scrren cathoid ray tube TV then a micro oven.

Joined Nov 2, 2013
As a home cook- here's my two cents worth: I don't like microwaves at all. I have one that other household members use occasionally but I do not use it. I think it affects the taste of food in a very bad way.

Joined Sep 5, 2008

What do you reheat your coffee with?
I make coffee directly in my cup, so I never have leftover coffee. 

I guess it's one of those things you find very convenient when you have it, and when you no longer have it you realize you don't miss it that much. At least that was my experience. 

Last edited:
Joined Sep 1, 2014
I have no microwave. I needed an extra shelf in the kitchen. I only used it for cooking rice, and reheating.
I miss it for reheating noodle dishes, which don't fare well on the stovetop, and heating those wheat bags that are used on sore muscles ( not food.)
My friends with kids have asked to use it at my place once or twice. They get by without though.

Joined Sep 7, 2014
The thing I like about microwaves:

Reheat my family meal plate that I didn't get to eat, because we got slammed. That's it.

Joined Feb 20, 2014
I use it for a few things, usually because it saves washing a pan.

To melt chocolate and butter

Thaw tomato sauce and broths that were frozen in canning jars

Scald milk

Reheat pasta, rice and potato leftovers

Joined Apr 8, 2013
I really just use mine to warm tortilla shells and, ahem, when I have had a bit too much wine/beer and want to eat leftovers. :p

Joined Sep 1, 2014
what about holding Hollandaise sauce or heating Nutella a lil bit? that's when  I find it really usefull

cookist

Banned
Joined Sep 4, 2014
Like it because it is very convenient to use.Very useful for reheating or defrosting food.

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Microwave is an appliance i can't do without in the kitchen for food.

Then there are many more non-cooking uses:

1. When you have to throw away CDs you made with confidential information on them, 20 seconds in the microwave for a whole stack of CDs/DVDs will completely destroy the information on them.

2. I use the microwave to sanitize kitchen towels. Wet it zap it, no more germs.

3. In wood crafts, using fresh wet wood, you need to wait many months for the wood to dry out. I do it in the microwave. Very fast.

There are so many more, I can't remember them all.

dcarch

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Yup a very handy tool.  I had to reset a toilet last week and put the new wax ring in the microwave, hit "baked goods" twice and it was perfect. 

Joined May 10, 2014
Coffee doesn't taste the same when reheated in a microwave.

Defrosting food in hot water is better if you follow the danger zone timings.

CDs probably release some toxic fumes when microwaved but are easily snapped in two otherwise.

A pressure cooker is so much better than a microwave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Oct 6, 2014
I am new to this site. I cook in my home for me and my husband. I use the most natural or organic an unrefined in tainte non gmo ingredients I can and I still will never microwave anything. Not even water. It completely changes the structure and destroys any proteins or other nutrients in whatever your microwaving. I microwave speeds up the particles in food creating all kinds of messed up protien sequences that your body cause use and it if tried it slowly destroys you. I am obviously very against using microwaves. I advise anyone who does use a microwave to find conventional ways to cook your food instead as often as you can. See how it affects your body. See how it changes the way you feel after you eat. Taste how it actialy taste like food.

Here are some sorces
http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm

Joined May 10, 2014
 It completely changes the structure and destroys any proteins or other nutrients in whatever your microwaving. I microwave speeds up the particles in food creating all kinds of messed up protien sequences that your body cause use and it if tried it slowly destroys you.
Cooking changes the proteins and destroys nutrients. We've been using microwaves over 30 years now and people's eyes aren't melting out of their heads.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Oct 6, 2014
I am not saying your all wrong and I'm right im saying do ur research and if you still would like to continue to microwave then do as you please. I on the other hand can see the results and the changes in my life from not eatig anyhig from a microwave in over 3 years

Top Bottom