What do you cook first?

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Hi to all!
I have 15 lbs turkey, so it’s gonna be (around 15 min per pound of cooking) approximately 3 hrs and 45 min. The thermometer will say the final word, of course. Then left it about 30 min to rest. That means, to have the turkey on the table at 6pm I have to put it in the oven around 1:30 -2:00pm. The problem is I have to roast my vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, carrot, onion, brussels sprout, parsnips… ) in clay pot for at least 45 min, maybe an hour. So, the one option is to make veggies before turkey and eventually have them a bit cold at 6pm, or warm them up before serving? Or put the turkey an hour or two earlier in the oven, and make veggies after turkey? In that case turkey can get a bit cold? Can I warm it up in the oven for 10-15 minutes on low temp?

I have one oven - how you guys manage these things?

Also, what do you make a day earlier (except soup and cakes and pies...)?

Thanks,
Afan

Joined Dec 18, 2010
In a home kitchen, especially with only one oven, it’s a ballet. Roast your veg before the turkey goes in. Warm them up to serve.

Suggestion: mash the white potato so there is something smooth textured too. I mash both the white and sweet. Plus, folks love mashed with the gravy. :)

Day before: cranberry sauce, stock, and peeling of the veg, whichever won’t oxidize.

Enjoy and don’t get stressed out!

Joined May 28, 2015
The turkey should sit quite happily after cooking for 40 mins if covered - which ought to be enough time to roast the veg. I normally do that - cook turkey first, then the roast vegetables. But I am not familiar with roasting in a clay pot - I use a metal baking tray. Alternatively, par roast the veg the day before or in the morning. Set aside and then finish them after the turkey comes out?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I'm always just a guest for Thanksgiving and usually bring one or 2 dishes for the host. But I've cooked for a lot of big parties at our home and I agree with brianshaw brianshaw , it's a ballet and everything is choreographed. I like to cook the meat first and then roast veggies. Only because meat can hold well for a long time, and veggies can't. Nothing is worse than a pre roasted and rewarmed potato. Also meat is easier because even if it's not completely hot the gravy can easily be heated!

I like to organize it in such a way that I have no more than 2 things that need to be roasted. The rest of the sides are salads, cold dishes that can be made ahead of time, and hot dishes that can be made on the stove top. If I have to make a lot of food I enlist the help of my husband who fires up the grill. The outdoor grill can do so many things, grill, smoke, roast, rotisserie, you name it. For example, if you decide to smoke or deep fry your turkey then your oven is totally freed up.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I'm always just a guest for Thanksgiving and usually bring one or 2 dishes for the host. But I've cooked for a lot of big parties at our home and I agree with brianshaw brianshaw , it's a ballet and everything is choreographed. I like to cook the meat first and then roast veggies. Only because meat can hold well for a long time, and veggies can't. Nothing is worse than a pre roasted and rewarmed potato. Plus even if the meat is not very hot, the gravy can be!

I like to organize it in such a way that I have no more than 2 things that need to be roasted. The rest of the sides are salads, cold dishes that can be made ahead of time, and hot dishes that can be made on the stove top. If I have to make a lot of food I enlist the help of my husband who fires up the grill. The outdoor grill can do so many things, grill, smoke, roast, rotisserie, you name it. For example, if you decide to smoke or deep fry your turkey then your oven is totally freed up.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
The cooler idea works really well for holding all kinds of things. For some of the bigger BBQ cookouts I've done I've held meat for hours as guests come and go rather than having it potentially dry up on a still hot smoker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom