What did you have for dinner?

Joined Mar 19, 2009
I'm making pizza dough for tomorrow, what an idiot! Why in hell did i decided to make pizza, somebody tell me please. It's a total mess in the kitchen, flour all over the place, i'm tired and the chances of success are zero. I'm a jerk. Divorce is next.

eastshores: great pork butt for the challenge.

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Ordo, because Pizza is good and you will never give up on it, no matter how challenging it may seem, just like I'm sure why your wife stays with you. lol /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

p.s. I too have been very unsuccessful with pizza dough. I only make a mediocre whole wheat dough that is not totally bad.

Tonight french-cut chicken breast, with pomme puree, pan roasted tarragon carrots, with caper wine sauce.

DSCN0590.jpg

I didn't bother covering the bone with foil before cooking. I was hungry.

Joined May 21, 2013
Last night I made Red Snapper en papillote with lemongrass, coriander and red chilli's

The Snapper was beautiful

Ready to be wrapped and put in the oven

I served that with an Ottolenghi asparagus and samphire salad:

.. And then I made 36 of these little beauties. They are Strawberry Milkshake cupcakes for a colleages little girls birthday party. I must admit, they're only getting 35. Well, you have to test them don't you? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Joined Apr 8, 2013
It's not easy to get rice that well separated. I recently switched to the technique I read on here, BIG pot of water.. boil it until al-dente then dump it into a strainer. Comes out great, the starches get diluted in the mass water. I can't recall if others here said that was a European way to cook rice, but I certainly have adopted it.
Correct! I don't follow the instructions on any rice bag/box/etc. Lots of water and rinsed rice. Then just testing it every once and awhile until al-dente. 

WONDERFUL dishes, Pollopicu and Goldilocks!

Joined May 21, 2013
Thanks Chris /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif   All photos I've posted to date have just been taken with my trusty iPhone - it's the closest to hand when I'm cooking!

This morning I was told by colleagues I'm in the wrong job, they're trying to convince me to sell my cakes online. I want to change career and do something with food but that's gonna be hard, how on earth would you stop them being spoilt on delivery?! Courier would be the only way and thats complicated whilst I work too. I might ask my local farm shop if they'd try to sell some for me, and see what happens. I love cooking, in fact I prefer the cooking to the eating (although I LOVE eating too of course!).

Goldi

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Goldi, you certainly have a gift. Creativity is so important to make it in any business, I can see you have it.

In this difficult economic period, it might be a very good idea to sell some of your creations via your local farm like you mentioned. Let's be honest, if they don't sell, it's not gonna be you, they look so appetizing. 

Joined May 21, 2013
I love it here, you're so encouraging thank you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I'll ask them, they can only say no.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Second the remarks everyone made to pollo and goldi.. good GRIEF... that chicken looks freaking amazing and the snapper.. such classic technique with really nice flavor profiles. Both of you rock.

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Thanks, everyone :)

Goldi, that snapper looks so fresh...so delicious. I haven't had the pleasure of getting snapper yet this season. You've inspired me to take the 45 minute drive to the fish shop.

Last edited:
Joined May 21, 2013
That asparagus looks awesome Goldi.  Is Ottolenghi the name of that famous vegetarian cookbook everyone touts?
Yes he has a few out, and I have to say I've only had them 3 days and I've made 3 things from it already! Very impressed with it. That particular one is from "Ottolenghi Cook Book". He has another booked called "Plenty" that is just veg dishes which I have also bought but haven't delved into yet. He has a lot of recipes on his website if you wanted to take a look: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes

Goldi

Joined May 21, 2013
Thanks, everyone :)

Goldi, that snapper looks so fresh...so delicious. I haven't had the pleasure of getting snapper yet this season. You've inspired me to take the 45 minute drive to the fish shop.
WOW!! That is true inspiration! I hope they have some in stock, maybe you should call first.. ?

I hardly ever see snapper at home, I just had to snap (boom boom! I'll get my coat...)  it up when I saw it /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

What will you do with it? It was the first time I had cooked snapper at home. I would imagine it is beautiful just grilled as well.

Joined May 21, 2013
I'm making pizza dough for tomorrow, what an idiot! Why in hell did i decided to make pizza, somebody tell me please. It's a total mess in the kitchen, flour all over the place, i'm tired and the chances of success are zero. I'm a jerk. Divorce is next.

eastshores: great pork butt for the challenge.
I've never tried pizza, please post pics of how you get on. I LOVE PIZZA /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  but I hate cheese (and dairy full stop really). Go figure that one out - I can't! I know, I'm odd..

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've never tried pizza, please post pics of how you get on. I LOVE PIZZA /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  but I hate cheese (and dairy full stop really). Go figure that one out - I can't! I know, I'm odd..
Goldi, did you try a search on the topic of Pizza (LOVE) … it doesn’t have to have cheese… my DH has a favorite American-Italian dish called Tomato pie (pizza really) and it has NO CHEESE… just the dough smothered in tomato paste (or even garden fresh tomatoes)… the SOUNDS difficult, but really it's not...

Joined May 21, 2013
Goldi, did you try a search on the topic of Pizza (LOVE) … it doesn’t have to have cheese… my DH has a favorite American-Italian dish called Tomato pie (pizza really) and it has NO CHEESE… just the dough smothered in tomato paste (or even garden fresh tomatoes)… the SOUNDS difficult, but really it's not...

Ooh thanks I'll check it out, that sounds delicious. It's weird, I hate cheese if you can taste it but I like spicy pizza so can't usually /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

I'll never forget the first ultra thin pizza I had in Rome, total revelation. I was hooked from then on in!

Top Bottom