What did you have for dinner?

Joined Nov 7, 2011
All I can say is Damn, there is some great food pictured here.  Petalsandcoco and Dcarch,  fantastic!

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Dcarch,

Excuse me while I go and get my defibrillator.......Merveilleux !

Scuba: Keep it coming......Terrific !

Petals.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 19, 2009
Wow. Beautiful presentation! And great picks also.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 7, 2011
Tonight I grilled veal chops. Made a mushroom sauce with a full pack of criminis sliced and cooked down with a little shallot, butter, cream and half and half. Hit it with some bourbon before adding the liquid and flamed it off. Finished with a touch of acid and green pepper corns

A salad of mixed leafy greans as a side

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Cold meatloaf & iceburg salad......Stood over the garbage can in the kitchen eating it, just like at work!.

I was tired, hungry and that was about the only thing in the fridge.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
dcarch, that's a pretty fancy looking plate, do you always serve dinner to your family like that? I'm just a home cook, I try to use my time judiciously :cool:

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Quite the contrast
In SouthWest America, meat is big
Here in the South Pacific (Hawaii) the Asian influence brings us vegetarian ways do eating ...
Tonight was a bit different, we had a beautiful salad of Big Island Tomatoes that are as sweet as candy (really!)
Sweet Maui Onions, Waimanalo greens and Japanese Cucumbers. A large plate of Kahuku corn and veggie fried rice.
I know that doesn't seem to make any culinary sense, but MAN!!! It was soooooo good!

Joined Nov 7, 2011
Wish we could find tomatoes that good here in Florida. When vegetables are that good you don't need to do much to enhance them

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Funny, I don't care for tomatoes but my husband goes wild for them and we had just been talking about the differences of the produce here in Hawaii and that he had not thought about it prior to coming home. May e it's the volcanic soil, maybe it' the fact that air pollution is rare, I'm not sure but we have been eating fruits and mostly veg, DELISH!!
WISH YOU WERE HERE!!

Joined Mar 19, 2009
I whish i could be there for sure.

Tonight: tournedos (quick sauté on butter and olive oil, deglaze with Cognac, add wine reduction sauce, napper and thicken) with potatoes dauphinoise.

Importantísimo to tie the tournedos and cut them thick (about 3 inches), to get them rare inside. And warm the plates (autumn here).

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Tournedos oscar is one of my favorites.  It has been a few years since I made them, maybe a special Memorial Day treat for the upcoming holiday here in the States.  Or maybe just a quick saute.

mjb.

Joined Nov 7, 2011
Last night I was eating solo at home and had a chuck roast in the fridge so put it through the grinder. Medium die and one pass.

Loosely formed a 6 oz burger seasoned with Dizzy Cow Lick rub and cooked it quickly in cast iron using a smashburger technique till just pink. Served on a seeded bun with some homemade grain mustard, red tinged leaf lettuce, slices of tomato and avocado

No sides made it was all about the burger

Joined Apr 25, 2012
I was really lazy last night, so I put together a rich and dry tuna salad with veggies, and used it as filling for some quick loompy tortillas.

Joined Apr 16, 2006
My second shot at sushi rolls: bacon & egg, bacon & asparagus. The bacon was homemade, hot-smoked (apple/orange), but "raw," not fried. The egg was Japanese-ish omelet strips, the asparagus pan-seared.

Then a little haddock with brown butter & lime, some chinese broccoli with crushed red pepper, green garlic & sweet tarragon vinegar, & some of the leftover sushi rice.

Cheap Aussie red & a friend.  Mixed berry/zin/cardamom sorbet after.  All over the map but it worked. 

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Baked mushroom and chicken ravioli with a heavy red wine laced red sauce and a crispy 3 cheese topping.  Quick, easy and the little one loved it.

Top Bottom