What did you have for dinner?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Making some pork spareribs bits:

1) Marinated in fish sauce and oyster sauce with lots of garlic and shallots,

2) Deep fried for a few minutes,

3) Braised in coconut water,

4) Served with jasmine rice and morning glory. 

Last edited:
Joined Sep 26, 2012
@Iceman - Wouldn't have stopped at one either :D

@FrenchFries - Deep fried then braised? Interesting. I would have imagined the other way around. How does this work out for the texture/crunchiness? I occasionally do something similar, but with additional honey in the marinade, braised after marinating, then basted with the remaining marinate and grilled.

For now, I am off to visit my friendly neighborhood butcher, who has 3 pounds of oxtail waiting for me. I moved out into the middle of nowhere last month, but surprisingly, this particular bit of the middle of nowhere apparently is gourmet paradise. The butcher (slaughtering himself!!) has Swabian-Hallian pork, Charolais beef and locally pastured lamb and can get you any cut or piece of offal you desire. An upscale supermarket next town has chicken from Bresse, guinea fowl, ducks from Loué, a serious fish department including live lobsters and so on...

To placate my sustainability/locavore genes - the chickens I get my eggs from are my neighbor's, just across the fence. I occasionally feed them scraps ;)

Organic farmers everywhere selling produce directly. Folks, you are real, yes? I am not in a coma and hallucinating all this? :-D

Joined Sep 5, 2008
 I moved out into the middle of nowhere last month, but surprisingly, this particular bit of the middle of nowhere apparently is gourmet paradise. The butcher (slaughtering himself!!) has Swabian-Hallian pork, Charolais beef and locally pastured lamb and can get you any cut or piece of offal you desire. An upscale supermarket next town has chicken from Bresse, guinea fowl, ducks from Loué, a serious fish department including live lobsters and so on...
Wow, you luck you, you! Sounds really amazing. Enjoy! And take pictures and share them with us! :D

@FrenchFries - Deep fried then braised? Interesting. I would have imagined the other way around. How does this work out for the texture/crunchiness? I occasionally do something similar, but with additional honey in the marinade, braised after marinating, then basted with the remaining marinate and grilled.
Yes deep fried first for about 3 minutes to get some color on them despite the thick marinade. Also all the garlic and shallot bits get to flavor the frying oil... then the braising is ultra short, less than 10mn really. Keep in mind the spareribs are cut in small bits, maybe 1" by 2" or so. 

Joined Apr 24, 2011
... I moved out into the middle of nowhere last month, but surprisingly, this particular bit of the middle of nowhere apparently is gourmet paradise. The butcher (slaughtering himself!!) has Swabian-Hallian pork, Charolais beef and locally pastured lamb and can get you any cut or piece of offal you desire. An upscale supermarket next town has chicken from Bresse, guinea fowl, ducks from Loué, a serious fish department including live lobsters and so on...

To placate my sustainability/locavore genes - the chickens I get my eggs from are my neighbor's, just across the fence. I occasionally feed them scraps /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Oh yes, please Gene, do take pictures of these wonderful local farmers and butchers and such. 

Of course if it’s agreeable with them, I think that a pictorial would be so interesting of what and how the foods that we eat are being produced.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Last year a cooked for a Super-Bowl party of over-the-top contractors.  The host had the biggest TV out on his deck, a huge deck made of synthetic wood.  The whole day was fantastic.  I made some serious $$$.  This year I'm doing a 50/50 party of Italians and Spaniards.  I've just put away a dozen (6 each) calzones and tortillas.  I'm not at all going into the uneasy uncharted waters of "authentic recipes", not here at least.  LOL @ Me.   These recipes are as authentic as anyone can tell from the neighborhoods I learned them from in Sicily and Spain.  

Calzone:  Start with Jiffy Pizza crust, 2 pkgs, 2/3 for the body 1/3 for the cap.  Body is made in a lg. spring-form pan.  Fill w/ 2 lbs. ricotta mixed w/ 2 cups shredded mozzarella, 2 eggs, good sized fistfuls of minced sun-dried tomatoes, finely cut basil and sprinkle cheese (romano/parmesan), all blended in a stand mixer.  Top that with 1 1/2 lbs, Italian sausage, browned, blitzed in the food pro and mixed with 1 lg. can Pastorelli pizza sauce.  Top that with more shredded mozz.  Cap and bake @ 350*. for 1/2 hour.  Brush with egg-wash of 1 egg and 1/4 stick melted butter.  Repeat egg-wash 3 more x's after 15-mins. each. Let rest at least 1 hour before cutting into pie slices.  Top with sauce; 1 more can pizza sauce with 1 minced roasted red pepper, minced basil and fistfuls of mozz and sprinkle cheese. 

Tortilla:  Start with a lg. oven-safe high-sided saute pan.  Cook up 3 potatoes worth of hash-browns, nice and crispy.  Cover that with 1 1/2 lbs. cooked chorizo mixed with 1/2 lb. cubed Chihuahua cheese. The chorizo I use looks like a Polish sausage.  You peel it and cook it.  It comes out all nice and fine-ground in it's own snappy sauce/gravy.  Cover that with a mix of 5 eggs, 2 chopped roasted pablano peppers, a sauteed lg. sweet Spanish onion, another 1/2 lb. of Chihuahua cheese and a good fistful of cilantro.  Top that with some shredded cheese of choice.  I use Asadero.  Bake for 1 hour @ 350*, or until you get a top looking as browned and bubbly as you like.  Once again, it is important to let it rest for at least another hour before cutting.  No sauce is needed here. 

OK.  So I've made these for tomorrow.  It's also what I (and my staff) had/are having for dinner tonight. 

Last edited:
Joined Sep 26, 2012
[SIZE=14pt]Oh yes, please Gene, do take pictures of these wonderful local farmers and butchers and such. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Of course if it’s agreeable with them, I think that a pictorial would be so interesting of what and how the foods that we eat are being produced.[/SIZE]

Just took a stroll in the garden to take some pics of the neighboring hens, but they were all cuddling up in their shack due to a biting cold wind from the west. Pics of the local food on legs will have to wait, then.

In the meantime:

That was for lunch. For tomorrow, the oxtail is ready for braising:

Joined Apr 24, 2011
um, yeah, I tried it all right

meh, not so much, thanks though /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I have OCD by association/img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

I make mine from scratch and keep some in the deep freeze for pizza night at our house

Iceman, you're invited any time...

View media item 60504

Joined Jan 30, 2012
What can be in that box that saves time ?

It makes no sense - pizza crust is:

Flour

Water

Salt 

Yeast

There are other things you can put into it to get a specific result but they are just as simple.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Pot luck ball game food - (good game Baltimore!!) - so no real meal deal there, but I did make a totally satisfying brunch for my wife and I. 

Grits finished with sausage, ham, eggs, and cheese with some sour dough toast and sweet butter.  I washed mine down with a local cranberry infused hard cider - delicious. 

Last edited:
Joined Feb 3, 2013
Man, I'm reading what you people ate for dinner and it's making me feel like I'm a caveman.

I do have the excuse that it's Super Bowl Sunday though, and I was rushing to get all my cooking done during the halftime show. (My apologies to Beyonce but I've never seen a Super Bowl Halftime show that I thought was worth spit).

Anyway, for dinner today: .

While I was boiling some penne pasta, I browned some burger along with a diced onion. I turned off the penne when it was about done. By this time the burger was browned so I put 3 cloves of garlic through my press into the mess, and topped it with some frozen stewed tomatoes (from last summers garden). I covered it and watched the halftime show for a few minutes. When I came back the tomatoes were soft enough to break up and mix it all together. I added approximately 1T of chili powder and mixed in the drained penne. .

I ate it with some sun-dried tomato bread I had made a few days ago, and some coleslaw left over from the chicken dinner I made for visiting family yesterday (the coleslaw was a strange addition to today's dinner, and normally I would have done something else, but it actually ended up complimented the flavor of the burger mess).

Anyway it filled the void..

Joined Feb 3, 2013
I'm doing laundry and some projects in my garage (woodwork) so I didn't feel like making much effort.

I diced a carrot small (1/4") and chopped up a few stalks of celery. I put the carrot in a sauce pan with a splash of water and cooked it on a medium high flame for about a minute. I then added the celery and about a 1/2 cup of frozen corn. On top of this I dumped my leftover burger mess from yesterday. Stirred it together and turned the flame down some and covered the pan.

I let it warm for about 5-6 minutes while I cleaned the kitchen utensils and wiped down the counters (occasionally stirring it)

I stirred in about a teaspoon of chili powder (pasta seems to absorb and neutralize some flavors when left overnight). I then announced dinner was about ready and set the table.

We had it with the last of the sun-dried tomato bread (I need to make more of the bread, as it was really good - I'm just getting into baking breads, I never did much of it myself when I was cooking professionally).

No coleslaw today as we ate all the yesterday

Once again it was simple easy meal, but it filled the void

Latest posts

Top Bottom