What did you have for dinner?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Basic store bought white bread, toasted. Duke's mayo. A couple coarsely chopped fresh basil leave. Black krim from the garden, lightly salted, a little balsamic. Bacon.

20210807_094451.jpg
20210807_095138.jpg

This was a good sandwich.

mjb.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
A friend gave me some heirloom tomatoes and mustard greens, so I used them when making dinner tonight...

Brown Rice, Oats, Tempeh, Crimini Mushrooms, Jicama, Mustard Greens, and Green Onions tossed in a Green Tea and Mango Curry Sauce;

topped with Scrambled Eggs, Cherokee Purple Heirloom Tomato, Crushed Almonds, and sprinkled with a Sri Lankan Roasted Curry Powder

dinner08-11-21.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
In another post I mentioned a large bag of chanterelles a friend had given me, I used some tonight sauteing some in compound and regular butter while cooking some spaghetti and then adding shrimp to the pan near the end before adding the pasta and some of it's water. Then I added grated Pecorino Romano, salt to taste and black pepper. Man was this delicious!!!

AM-JKLUX0dIlw-m8h0ybjVJSQQRgm1pZJ7nAwMjkEXesaVKeN8tF--h3AvteBk3ea0a9bjDtUnffxvbo-WEEnw4mx2mLeFpgPNt5h3QwIz45FAa81-QT2uUU3eHfEVFFz6TvVCFOg3N2fC7XU1gJ1ZBkzBfy=w493-h657-no

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Doro Wat Soft Tacos, a spicy Ethiopian chicken stew with onions, garlic, habanero, ginger, tomato paste, red wine and chicken stock; flavored with thyme and berbere; with garnishes of hard boiled eggs, cilantro, and aiyb (Ethiopian curd cheese); served in low carb whole wheat tortillas

Fossolia, Ethiopian style green beans with tomato puree, onion, garlic, ginger, rosemary and makulaya alicha

Polenta with White Corn Kernels, polenta was cooked using a corn cob stock instead of water

dinner09-02-21.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had some Chanterelles left so I washed (an old toothbrush works great!) and dried them. They then went into a pan full of bacon fond with some butter
AM-JKLV48sLdjIskpncTb6tM6Nv3nvbPeZQqL_yrfSfMer-kjir4G32zYMRRs8xju1tyWeLmsJF4DVBSPJN85k9AxlO2ReHqUR_4YzUTRyo7o8oMzvHDlPGQoZQ6ttZEmkzCBGENx4GEl52g-SayKb12pSAb=w787-h1048-no

In another pot I cooked Jasmine rice in chicken stock and garlic, peppers and onion. When the rice had rested I married the two and added some diced leftover bacon. These mushrooms have such a meaty flavor the bacon was simply seasoning.

AM-JKLVBEyDNbGKaJ-uy3CY-U5cIfy_U1p4CZniY8CPtVzWJkcguRyFu758eqWn5nIEN7Hd0aTPPSABxdoaz9WJbIjRt6IMmZwi8atBP6i96YqUOGfu8-v8zCgO7uxSab-z5JlLWRZ5-hvGjLTi1PGzcQm2h=w787-h1048-no

The best part is I still have another serving of Chanterelles left.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
A friend's fig tree is producing more figs than she knows what to with, so today she gifted a bag to me because she knows I love them, so for tonight's dinner...

Fig Pizza with Mission Figs, Bacon, White Corn, Tuscan Kale, caramelized Red Onion, Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, and Chevre.

Drizzled with pomegranate molasses when it came out of the oven.

dinner09-06-21.jpg

Brushed crust with Greek Yogurt, drizzled with olive oil,and sprinkled with grated Italian cheese mix. Toppings other than figs and chevre were sauteed in bacon fat.​

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Uh, that was supposed to show up in the challenge thread. I wonder if there is a way to move it to where I wanted it to go?

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I cooked Friday I hadn't for a few days due to the shock of starting a new job. I bought a package of sweet Italian sausage, and had on hand a can of whole peeled tomatoes, onion, garlic, a few chanterelles and tomato paste. I Seared the sausages then removed and built my sauce - onion, garlic, mushroom, paste - when they were ready I added my tomatoes and chopped them up with a board scraper and added parsley then adjust for seasoning.
AM-JKLVJg28sk7d4vj58AEYRKEBjyhlqwSR62Uw3yaE4Of2WJkxRbzJNCcbSpA_I-uYPe7GOw_QMPCrrg7-J1plZ8AGZyDAcCrXaN29rDHyb1aqwCxJH0EeVlrTbzc0yh0Dpz61QKqn-VMQsNlWSqM_lc_sy=w787-h1048-no

Pasta was #16 Italian spaghetti finished in the sauce and mixed at the very end with some grated Pecorino Romano and dusted with fried bread crumbs and fresh basil.
AM-JKLWszqXL4sVnMevztOX3UcVo0XXSs4bW1w2FFNb6f5rccNF_P7a0hQyeC4WY_oVfoSlkyNfpH7zttdgwVhIIQo0PMhdiXcn4iYfflnE8LO7mFK1jXIizWDI8spoCmtyOv28fw4fk3rcANX6LTY734tew=w787-h1048-no

Joined Jul 13, 2012
The beer in the bright tank was too warm to can today so we cleaned the taps and left at noon. I went back at 2ish and it was still 43 degrees so I folded cases for Friday when we do a double. First one beer then a different beer. I thawed some shrimp out the other day so I sauteed some garlic, peperoncino and parsley in batter and evoo. Then the shrimp went in and when the penne was al dente I added that, a can of chopped clams, some pasta water and some grated Pecorino Romano. Sure was good - my wife thought it was a little salty, but I told her the pasta water was salted, the shrimp are naturally briny, the clams are briny and the cheese is salty by nature. I hardly seasoned it myself, but it's cumulative.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Polenta and lentils cooked with vegetable green tea stock and finished with cold butter. Bacon, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and green beans sauteed with the rendered bacon fat. Topped with a rustic tapenade of Castelvetrano olives, pistachios, garlic, thyme, rosemary, lemon zest and juice, cracked black pepper, and olive oil.

dinner09-20-21.jpg

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Used Peruvian Cau Cau as a jumping off place. It is a tripe stew, but I used country style pork ribs as the protein. Cut the pork into stew size pieces and used trimmings to porkify a chicken stock, which I simmered for an hour or so.

The marinade for the meat is made with aji amarillo chiles, but I couldn’t source those, so I used habaneros, which have the same flavor profile (floral, fruity) but a lot more heat, so I used 1/5 the amount of chilies and made up the difference with orange bell peppers (same flavor profile and no heat). Blended those into a paste along with garlic, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, cumin, and olive oil. Marinated pork overnight.

Next day I sauteed the pork, removed from pan and then sauteed garlic and onions. Threw in reserved marinade, added golden heirloom tomatoes and cilantro. Sauteed until everything was soft and broken down. Traditionally deglazed with pisco (Peruvian grape brandy) but used sparkling white grape juice in its place.

Returned pork to pan, added the porkified chicken stock and let simmer away. Added purple potatoes, parsnips, and turnips. When finished, turned heat off and threw in some roma tomatoes and let sit for 5 minutes before serving with brown rice on the side.

dinner09-22-21-2.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had 19oz. of ground beef to use. Our son is in WV and I made a batch of smallish meatballs so Bonnie wouldn't have to cook tonight. My grandson came over and I asked him to run it by Mom. He got busy playing and totally forgot. Now I have meatballs to give away, or feed them this weekend.

Meatballs: minced onion, garlic, parsley, 1 egg, beef, parmigiano and torn bread soaked in chicken stock, salt and pepper.

Sauce: garlic and peperoncino sauteed in a pan of bacon fond and a little drippings, tomato paste, tomato puree, wash can with chicken stock, add parsley, salt. Then when it simmers add the meat balls and turn part way through. Remove to a plate and hold warm. Pasta was spaghetti #15 cooked el dente then finished in the sauce and mixed with parmigiano.

AM-JKLXa9FlgxyIjmyZXaoUMw_zba0SJD9MBHKpiCEkWdDCYq42hNaI_Cz3hPvu_4632xAPVULQBQUUljzmOuCcOLnNgUDUnTtIqVfM1wVObV09IL3ORBQKWoyxaGVQodJ55VAOzC5cpIq-g0jtgjip2URvr=w787-h1048-no

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Tikka Masala Pizza

Tikka Masala Chicken and Tikka Masala Sauce, grated Italian Cheese Mix, Mushrooms, caramelized Red Onions and Garlic, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, fresh Thyme and Rosemary

dinner09-27-21.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Still getting tomatoes out of the garden. Making a simple soup.

20210919_083302.jpg

Sweat some onion, add a little garlic, then add the tomatoes and simmer until they are broken down. Strain out the seeds and skins, add some fresh basil.

20210928_050323.jpg

I probably should have kept this month's challenge in mind, and made a Mister Crunchy ( croque monseiur ) instead of a basic ham and cheese. But hey, it was easy, it was tasty I am happy.

mjb.

Top Bottom