What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I stopped by the store for beer and saw these fresh Mackerel so I bought four, took them home and in between periods (Hockey) I gutted and gilled them. After the game I built a fine in the chimney and seasoned the insides and put parsley and lime slices in. Nuked a Russet till almost done then sliced in half, scored, buttered and salted and wrapped in foil. Potato went on the grill then the fish and I nuked 2 ears of corn for 4 minutes. (great method BTW). What a nice meal!! it's been a long time since I grilled whole fish.

ACtC-3cKXaZMCJZ8axhHczOjNQ9aK57qzUiN2kFqOeio1auKCEvxs0ZwlQh0UHQNa3qvyPoe9EQ7A49QDzxo13PMLzkVElNAF4f5UaA39oViV697KCoNtVYHz8g7YzNYbTTnHyKdbG-MxY_QGm20Y6cYxI9X=w787-h1048-no

I remembered to take a pic before finishing it off - LOL.
ACtC-3f86AYD0zsf4Q-WLvirT8_G28vFnvql1uiiNchvcTeMmoppaMk_lscf4pPNQFsJmHb79VjKhV11hZAll1UT2XrxQ_RoTlCgJx3048hLDLlhiEKtFf3gwtqaLVwhjLW2KZpZHmisj-Mref65EhV8-Xka=w787-h1048-no

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Another chilly wet day so I thought pasta might be in order. I was not in the mood to make work for myself so I used ready cooked mussels in tomato and garlic. One package is one serving, but I know better. I did up some fettuccini while cooking extra garlic in evoo with peperoncino, tomato paste, white wine, butter and parsley - salted of course. When that reduced and the pasta was almost al dente I added the mussels and when they were thawed added the pasta along with pasta water. Bowled it up when finished and we plated and topped with sheep's milk pecorino.

ACtC-3d0VU7htP218nFokh8CDpCKnMgkJeolYOn8QIj5GyhQesO0ZJPvBo5ldy_7WPRdv5fm2C8E1our12m9NTQZMoenZMXbTgpV3zL0BENtJTz_6SXNpnLB2hwIdVhPZQJZmH-985liYq6GhFfcC_5337tE=w493-h657-no

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Lol. Spaghetti with sausage and jarred sauce. It was yummy.

no pic… sorry. I’m sure you can use your imagination!

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Sri Lankan Pork Shoulder Black Curry and brown rice tossed with sweet potato, turnip, and cucumber.

Made a toasted black curry spice mix with raw brown rice, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, brown mustard seeds, cloves, green cardamom seeds, and fennel seeds. Used that as a base for marinade and added ground black cardamom and cinnamon, cayenne, tamarind, and oil. Mixed with pork shoulder and put in fridge for 6 hours.

Sauteed bay leaves, ginger, and onions. Added garlic and jalapenos, swung briefly and added marinated pork and palm sugar. Stirred briefly and added chicken stock. Simmered for an hour. Finished with lime juice.

While brown rice was cooking, blanched sweet potato and turnip in chicken stock, drained and saved chicken stock, and while vegies still warm sprinkled with ground mix of black peppercorns, black cardamom seeds, cinnamon, and cayenne. When vegies cooled, added the cucumber and more ground spice mix. Reduced vegie blanching chicken stock almost dry and added to vegies. Finished with lime juice and zest and tossed with finished hot rice.

Sri Lankan Black Curry.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Tired yesterday so a grilled Canadian bacon, tomato and 4yr.a aged cheddar sandwich was about all I could muster. God I hate yard sales . . .

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Made my last batch of garlic scape pesto yesterday. I thawed some ground wagyu and made Oklahoma onion burgers with pesto and provolone on potato roll. 3oz smash patties, season, onions on top, flip on went the pesto and provolone. These were really rich tasting and I could barely finish it. Along with an ear of corn it was a full meal.

ACtC-3fyBVOlR8h5uUhs4ltnpup-29crdDQSoI3ROPwp8LGqCX8Lr2zFH4YBB7AMSWTgUph34ZZQLVDUECK2i-7qK90r5TrVzT-xgOvsxZEBvslYPpYXVR_Iq_BdM296GIQ7aYIddn0sZb122SXN9PVv7-jv=w787-h1048-no

ACtC-3c02MEZDSl3_tS0v0SK_ytiYrskw3FTxFw7rOe4yuMTLErtL-KPJ10JoRQr58eQ_oOnZKHt4vbroENAZjPDt2jhTe5GfzI4BQkKz4qfjk9GzU-q_cdeW7MTqaDii6nrT8Nrtbfl59IHkCex7rnzPmOb=w787-h1048-no

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
Spent the afternoon creek side where the canopy is thick and it's always 10 degrees cooler. I didn't feel like fancy, or building a fire so I did a sirloin and russet on my son's gas grill. This was a really good tasting piece of beef and one of my favorite cuts.

AM-JKLWv2k1r7Fq1WfnDifDBo7SFOqufghJyRVlx0EOdQ-0dSM_dCZKXwme2AKjiRl9zI3WditWDV-G_RcQ3_i_k5TpOC-Y0X40d8xdgi_t70fjEc2BZjO_mvDGiU2-9VtPtqB-LVu6WNcBAUEM-jGRbByi8=w787-h1048-no

Joined Jun 7, 2021
I wish I would have thought to take pictures. I had a fresh ear of hot, buttered corn, lightly steamed sugar snap peas, Thin rice noodles with a modified Filipino Pork Adobo.

My modified Adobo was made with the following ingredients:
  • 2 lbs fatty, country Style Ribs
Marinade, and Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons garlic minced or crushed
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 4 tablespoons dark brown vinegar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon peppercorn1/2 cup minced onion
  • 2 tbsp. Hoisin Sauce
  • 3 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 cups water
Combine marinade ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Whisk until well combined. Slice ribs into 1/4 " thick slices, across the grain.. Add the pork to the marinade. Stir together to completely coat the meat. Push the meat down until it is all immersed in the marinade. Cover with cling wrap, and refrigerate for thee hours.

Heat a heavy frying pan, or wok with 2 tbsp. ghee, or cooking oil. Using tongs, add the pork and stir fry until it just starts to brown, about three minutes. Add the marinade. Turn to simmer and let cook for thirty minutes, covered.

Cook rice noodles, drain, cover, and set aside.

Steam sugar snap peas, Add, butter, cover, and set aside. .Remove lid from simmering meat. Add 3/4 cup water. Continue simmering for 20 more minutes, with lid on, stirring every ten minutes or so.. Remove lid and test a piece of meat. It should be very tender, with the fat just melting in your mouth. If it isn't yet tender enough, add 1.4 cup water, and simmer with the lid off until the broth becomes syrupy in texture. Remove from heat. Cook your ears of corn by your favorite method. Butter, and serve with the noodles, covered with Adobo, and snap peas on the side. I recommend a fruity bubble tea for a refreshing beverage, and if you can make, or get one, a slice of Filipino style coconut pie for desert.

How is this modified: Filipino Adobo marinade usually uses lime, instead of lemon juice, doesn't have brown sugar, or Hoisin Sauce, and includes 7-Up soda. I
didn't have the soda, or lime juice, so I improvised. It was still tender, with great pork flavor, and a stick, great tasting coating.

The only way I can think of to make this better, would be to take the meat out of the still liquid broth, when tender, Place onto bamboo skewers, and cook in a smoky, covered grill. Reduce the cooking liquid to a glaze, and bruh over the kababs,

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Hotter than hell outside. No work on this holiday weekend. So, I cut my creative side loose to play.

Chilled Coconut Corn Soup

Topped with steamed shrimp, grilled peppers (shishito, jalapeno, pasilla), grilled corn, toasted coconut, blanched sweet potato and rutabaga, jicama, radish, cucumber, avocado, and cilantro.

chilled coconut corn soup.jpg

Shucked (saving husks) and grilled corn, Vidalia onion, shishito, jalapeno, and pasilla. Cut corn off cob and used cobs to make a stock. Put ½ of the corn husks in a pot, laid shrimp in shell on top of husks and covered with remaining husks. In another pot, brought strained cob stock to a boil. Off the heat, poured boiling stock into pot with husks and shrimp. Lidded tightly. Let sit for about 30 seconds. Poured off and saved stock and tightly lidded pot once again to let shrimp steam in moistened husks. When shrimp were steamed through, chilled and then peeled, saving shells, which I put in blender with corn stock. Blended on high and then stained through etamine.

To start soup process, I sauteed grilled onions with fresh ginger and fresh turmeric. Added some of grilled corn and peppers, saving some for later garnish. Saluted briefly and then added a peeled diced Yukon potato, coconut milk, corn/shrimp stock, and lime zest. Simmered about 25 minutes until potato was tender, then into blender.

Chilled soup overnight and next day finished with fresh lime juice and topped with all garnishes.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Last night I made oven fried eggplant with a garden tomato sauce with minced onion, garlic, parsley, some shredded leftover grilled pork and minced leftover sausage. I love making eggplant this way - it's really crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.

AM-JKLUncFIoC_2SS1JYcj4WRygO-34VwpOWIGdSMuw27bP304a1jCbdN9AAg9VBa-BAZfWlkeHg7IfzBghtZEqzybo-10nLkNjmZTro299P05cSa9oc9uRb6G5WtkNaxQ0ii-CciBXsfaCblfmEaiwNClrT=w787-h1048-no

Tonight I was thinking about Cubans, but didn't have any suitable bread . . . but I have flour tortillas!!!! Ding, ding, ding - Cuban tacos. mustard on the tortilla then Swiss, ham, pickle and shaved grilled pork. I wrapped them in buttered foil, placed in a skillet and weighted with a pot. Damn these were really tasty!

AM-JKLUzH7CfPx1qu8TK_kEnrgLYPqRtl1Ry4U8GMRo3iKgwmVYl4ZGi70VST2TwIMgz8-QAPS2WFqN9QwtScqoi4YuWOW6Yikie07Gk8ZFXXvlx-7IOUFsLGnQm0AQLAMgTAG3t69iAvSJRa35oOxXLs91l=w787-h1048-no

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Another rainy day today - yesterday was the first time we've seen the sun in a week!!! So it was a perfect day to go back in time and have dinner at "The Five and Dime". Hearty tomato soup, a grilled cheeses sandwich, chips, pickle and a glass of Coke.

AM-JKLWsIIv0fRwJVCB5YwxPfFx0eXvNKMUWwbFKewkO08kAK3voQ85Smx1VhKSO99ZTpO6hxymBvBk9bM1MAZJQbY61YzjaolhO7V3_vcqqAYyaHRhCqA3I_pUy_YZF1kW4i--7nSy-ZQIxAMK-4XCouUqn=w1398-h1048-no

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Last nights meal was tempura shrimp, with fried rice, nd sugar snap peas. I make my tempura batter different than most. The original batter, from Japan, is simply AP flour, salt, baking powder, and water, no carbonated beverage required. It came out light and crispy because the ingredients were barely mixed, and did not develop the glute. I use 1/2 cup AP flour, combined with 1/2 cup cornstarch, 2 tsp. baling powder, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, 1 cup cold water. Stir all ingredients just enough to form a light batter. Place whatever your going to fry into the batter, let it rest for 5 minutes to let the batter adhere. Deep fry in 360' neutral oil. It comes out so light, and crispy. Drain on wire rack. Simple, easy, and tastes great.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Filipino Pansit Bihon was served here. It is a very savory noodle dish, traditionally made with thin, bite sized pieces oc chicken and pork, and served over rice noodles. I modified it to suit the tastes of my grandsons.1

Here's what I made.

Ingredients:
lb pancit bihon Rice Noodles (I used spaghetti noodles)
1 lb. pork cut into small thin slices
1/8 lb. pea pods or snow pea
1 cup carrot
1 cup celery leaves chopped finely
1 medium sized onion chopped
1 tbsp. garlic minced
1 pc chicken cube
5 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
3 cups water
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Heat the oil in a large, ceramic coated Dutch oven. Add the onion, and minced garlic. stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the meat. Stir until lightly browned on all sides. Add the remaining ingredients, except the peas and noodles, and cover. Simmer over low heat for three hours. Remove the lid. Remove the meat and set aside. Increase the heat to medium high and boil to reduce to a thin syrup. Cook the noodles in salted water for nine minutes, or al dente. Strain. When the sauce will coat a spoon, add the peas, meat, and noodles to the Dutch oven, Use tongs to fold everything together evenly. Serve with pink lemonade.

This was such a hit that the boys volunteered to clean the table, and do the dishes. Good thing, as today was dialysis day, and I am worn out. Bu t it was worth it to see the grandsons eating with gusto.
biggrin.gif
The only downside, not enough left over for Mom and Dad.
ohmy.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom