What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I haven't made Bolognese in a while, Sunday Gravy either - might be time to revisit one of them IF we get a rainy day, or three - and we really need rain!!!

Joined Jul 13, 2012
A very generous friend of ours came back from Manhattan Monday with pastrami from Katz's on Houston St. We thought he was bringing sliced, vac'd pastrami, but no. Instead he gave three of us a whole point cut!!! Mine weighed 4.6 pounds and the instruction said to "boil for three hours, or until tender". We had the kids over for "Deli Night" and the 7 of us made a serious dent in it - :lol: I think I went into a pastrami coma.

ACtC-3emWmWwQORuVcNlNobHGRTeu0MKsH_jQj8N54KYMTU1nYlYwqQM-TOgXDMoeD5ZKv7JGkuODYUBYZt39wO9Vh0Bq0pnqr79TaoSVgJPOZXHi3PFyZlnAstgS7HuYmgMnmAY7wfJ3cWvAzbUhp1cTeFD=w787-h1049-no

I had to get "the big pot" out of the cellar -
ACtC-3eJt1Fo0QQRDwS1oLMIkn7OVvvgOYdnz7eopF-lhPemyNA9z2nTvORJrdtaMHWv7I554ciSRXKUpECaqi2dRIFBDO1BsqbsyBEY1pWJAppM7-PaF_PlWpsRe5XbXXmQHGENEWlm_dj8tdg7D3b19zbw=w787-h1049-no

Joined Jul 13, 2012
My house smells like Cioppino at the moment and it's heavenly - squid for the long, slow cook then scallops, fish mix and little necks.
Ok - an hour on the squid then the clams and when they opened in want the scallops and fish - OH MY!!! Talk about tasty - served with toasted pita points and a bacon/parsley topping.
ACtC-3dlz8Zf8rfBlHtKxT2RhEhML6pqNtbdNrl5vooKEMb7LQi3f5ZmxIfKvl5-88Pd8G0ftHcGCzxw1sxV723qSMETa5Ej5emXqBLCX-yuZbyTpvuVE6xT0EPZcmx4miCokTOk5FracGccNJOTOEwN0dBt=w787-h1049-no

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
FOr some reason thought it was time for a classic French omelet. It has been a while since I last did one, I was not expecting perfection. Anf of course, I didn't get it.

20210424_110742.jpg

But I think it might be worth it to practice once a week. It looks a bit ragged, but boy oh boy! I should have taken a shot of the interior. This was so light, airy, creamy and delicious! Just delightful, great taste and texture, and the shape wasn't that far off.

Served with lightly fried cherry tomatoes and a caesar salad with crispy proscuitto and a good amount of grated parm. There's also a bit of parm and gruyere in the omelet. And the green onion was pulled out of the backyard about half an hour earlier.

All in all a nice meal.

mjb.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Decided to make beef stroganoff this evening. I have never really looked at a recipe because I figured it's so simple but apparently in addition to sour cream there is dijon mustard in the sauce. I added a bit tonight and it was very tasty.

beefstroganoff.jpg

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Had some fresh asparagus stalks left from last nights dinner and that got the wheels spinning on tonight’s dinner. Made a sauce from butternut squash simmered in chicken stock and seasoned with garam masala, until very tender and then pureed in blender. Peeled and diced asparagus stalks and parsnips. Diced applewood smoked bacon. Finely minced red onions and garlic. Sauteed onion/garlic, added bacon and continued sauteing. Added parsnips and continued sauteing. Added asparagus stalks, sauteed briefly and then lidded and turned off heat while pasta finished cooking. Pasta was spaghetti made with red lentil flour. Tossed everything together and topped with toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, parsley, and Romano cheese.

Presentation would have been better if I had tossed pasta with sauce and then topped with bacon, asparagus, parsnip mixture and then seed garnish mix…but I was in eat mode, not looks mode. dinnerr4,27,21.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had made kabobs to take to my nieces cookout the other night. I had sirloin leftover so I made some tonight along with russet potato. sirloin chunks dry marinated in salt, pepper, roasted garlic powder and smoked paprika. So in order - meat, red onion, red pepper, pineapple, tomato, repeat. The potato gets nuked 2/3 of the way through then scored, seasoned and finished in butter in a pan with a pot on top. Talk about the crunch factor - creamy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.

ACtC-3dqf3ehd0JaCW_YlkS7_yLYwAxx2Wc6aT_LEz4kWPgFBfMHkL62Zmsn4lcIVy2cfEQef3_BsG1vrorPgcVgZBolQVkK_YnCJpujE1rEClTc5f4Tfqc4vZ_86vd7IYiLf2X55iQtpY0reUxY-t6vqy3h=w787-h1048-no

Last edited:
Joined Oct 23, 2008
I want the recipe

Thanks! Here's the gist of what I did..

• 2.5 lbs of beef round roast that I cut into 3/4 inch cubes (I bought what was on sale)
  • 1 medium white onion diced
  • 2 small packages of button mushrooms sliced
  • 1 tbsp of garlic powder
  • 4 sprigs of thyme
  • 4 cups of beef stock
  • about 2 tbsp of dijon mustard
  • 1.5 tsp soy sauce
  • about 1.5 cups of sour cream
  • "Wondera" flour to thicken
  • S&P season throughout and finally to taste
Sear off the beef over high heat in two batches and removed to a plate to rest. Adding a little oil as needed saute the onion and mushroom which should produce enough liquid to deglace the pan for about 8-10 minutes until softened. Add in the beef stock. Now cover and simmer until the beef is tender. This will depend on the cut you are using but for me this cooked around 3.5 hours. Begin sprinkling in the wondera flour stirring briskly over a strong simmer until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon / to your desired consistency. Add in the splash of soy, taste and season, etc. Remove from heat and stir in the dijon and sour cream until combined.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I am still working on the goal of meal prepping and freezing dinners. These plant fiber based trays work pretty well but I am having a hard time pairing the bag sizes to the tray sizes and when things aren't right it can be a real PITA. Heading towards summer I figured I need to start adding some options that aren't stews or heavy pastas so today I did mojo grilled chicken tenderloins with cilantro lime rice, black beans and cotija, and a corn pepper onion medley. I had to use scissors to cut down these trays because apparently the bags I bought are maybe 1/4 of an inch smaller than the sample bags I used before. Anyway I made it work but I definitely need to find a better tray.

mpmojo1.jpg

mpmojo2.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made a long sauce today for Cinco De Mayo tomorrow. I wanted something quick and easy and remembered I had some 3 cheese tortellini in the ice box. A "quickie" Brodo was perfect. 2cups of basic chicken stock, 1 bullion cube, a little mirepoix, some parsley, thyme, pepper and roasted garlic powder completed the profile. Simmered for about an hour then removed the beg and poured over the tortellini and topped with grated sheep's milk Pecorino Romano and fresh parsley. Very satisfying for a not so nice day (weather wise).

BtbDSEYKMRhcc6Xl-h3XwZY80ubq9WspYi3wlutHrdiaQ26PniN33sA7xVgc3yAwimxHLmnkZ0DglhIXQUdyynqhtMxkfAwZgGhoTE1sgyog2hyJXtCmQh4vXkKjR3Fdj6r1Wh4_yj2eyNQ1m6FgkcpOgetQ0EgPLXR1-MKqjTn5ZjU2dM7hFiZbQS3sAJWD74iZyiMV2wwv7c1eTsbH-egbq4JMWZPV-nnY8yP_sNzISZg668qVpfzy_gLo0aAkVvL4KCCXM4hckQfa9DGOFUZCgogFkz2Bta_IeEZXL1osNkKfnMHwJQ9QRQfiT4tGzIjakRhgjXN-8fDr2G36mmNBRpSAPMOSROQQax3I_kbj86mmYaCW4QFx3kdmGWfdua36lzmVSwu-zpOqvcKQHFlql2nFSRZDldYQkY1yCKacsxSaiOMZCRaLlJj4udKrv5cFbwZ5qAxToDe5mdiRa1C8bpxR1FEepkKrgve9bnxTt2xiglLmdvIqquRehWojrSWCxOLPppjnuDWSz1ENsqLysN6WyTXsjh7KduYrR4ds16BhAXWTZsfwJ1AXjV74mfHpimt8Xenf9pogao2yLK0tMxssMkTFyGJJpcUd3bhR3qi1UCk_oPrDRvT2GEj_BA04uTjg24HeSvDQo7kYQkgxWBNC-2e4Y6sOGS539OFBUjqDvrktuIFQvDxFnJnldelVlCacyzpVYdmZuo3nZtl0=w787-h1048-no

Top Bottom