What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Sate & green beans.
I estimate I ate about 4 metres of beans ;)
(I' m growing kouseband/yard long beans)
IMG_20210313_193458.jpg

Joined Oct 23, 2008
mike9 mike9 for some reason that reminded me of a buddy who for a short time in his youth played music professionally. He somehow managed to get into the wedding circle and each time someone new in this large community got married they wanted to hire his band but they asked how much he was paid at the last wedding and they always paid him more. Kind of hysterical how they wanted to pay more just for the bragging rights of paying more. He sure didn't mind though!

Joined Jan 9, 2019
Turkish pide ..(again?).. similar to an Armenian lamajoun
With sucuk (sujuk) sausage, cheeses, sofrito with red pepper & a bit of poblano ;-)
Repeating tonight (smaller- w/leftover dough/fillings) avec hot spinach salad pide w beaten egg.jpg
pide w egg.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I got my second Covid-19 shot about 48 hours ago. When I got home from work about 3 hours ago, I felt a little tired. Which happens pretty much every day after work. Changed my clothes, got some scallops out of the freezer. The other day the local Kroger affiliate had some marked down from $15.99 to $9.99 And no, they hadn't passed the expiration date yet.

Sat at the computer and started getting really tired. And feeling a bit achy and out of sorts. Took some Ibruprofen. Fell asleep at my desk, felt better when I woke up.

So I did the dinner I was planning on, scallops and angel hair in a browned butter garlic herb sauce. Very simple dish to make, as long as you keep your eye on the butter and don't burn it. It was tasty. Getting a bit low on the parm-reg, may have to hit Caputo's soon. I really can't remember the last time I knowingly and willing ate grated "parm" from a green cardboard container.

20210325_092854.jpg

So simple, so easy, so tasty.

mjb.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
What's for lunch? I grilled some skirt steak last night and had some leftover. I've been meaning to get around to trying out a totrilla press I picked up.. so I looked up a recipe.. pretty simple.. masa.. salt.. and hot water. But I guess the amount was off so my tortillas ended up being on the small side for a taco.. so I just toasted them hard and made skirt steak tostadas instead!

tostadas.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made shrimp and yellow rice tonight. Whole head on shrimp sauteed in evoo, shaved garlic, spicy pepper and smoked paprika. The rice is Thai Jasmine with onion, jalapeno, garlic, parsley, turmeric and evoo. This is really good shrimp, but I'll warn you now - get some "eye brow" scissors and cut that shell up the back, or they are as hard as rock shrimp to peel without destroying the meat. Served with a nice, crisp, organic unoaked chardonnay.

ACtC-3cmoa-9jctkId11oJiviBAdAcCGJUvfjQ0k-bB57WbLQIIJmHbNLb0CjqUGx3JbGkKGdc90eNQuoONcpXYnn_XHiZhNmUlgcoqtEwf03JPz7NYXs4Jf5mYQIlvtj1Oebk1ZtjebAvXwU6LybqvgwSyW=w787-h1049-no

We got our second dose of Phizer on Wednesday. Yesterday I was tired and had brain fog - I had to measure the front of the house three times because I couldn't remember where my tape ran out - LOL. Better today though, but I've been sleeping in something fierce . . . not that there's anything wrong with that.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
My wife hates it when I bring home head on shrimp. I try to do so as often as possible. May do a seafood gumbo for the challenge, will definitely use head on for that.

I got my second dose Tuesday, felt fine for 2 days. Then 48 hours later major body aches, very tired. But back to normal now.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I was going to cook a chicken on the charcial grill. Then I remembered I had bought some deep frozen samoosa's.
Ate all of them instead (after frying, obviously).
So it is chicken tonight!
IMG_20210327_180127.jpg

Joined Oct 23, 2008
After my homemade tostadas the other day my brother in law wanted to do a meal. Well.. let's just say it's hard to make homemade tortillas.. at least for me.. and I got so disgusted that I quit mid-cook and said I'm going down the road to get some packaged corn tortillas. Well I am lucky to have a small Mexican grocer just a few blocks away.. but I had no idea they sold hand made tortillas in packs of 10 still hot in a cooler. They saved the day! Carnitas, pollo, and asada. mexitacos.jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I've been testing out my curry pastes, to be able to give people an idea how much to use and how to prepare. And give them an idea about heat level.
Not easy, but I like the testing!
Chicken red curry yesterday

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We had a busy day and then we colored Easter eggs with the grandkids this afternoon. At 3pm I thought to take a 1/2lb of dry bay scallops out of the freezer to quick thaw. I dried them then seared in hot cast iron with bacon drippings and evoo. Pasta when in salted water and when the scallops were almost done I removed them from the pan. in went more evoo, a pat of butter, some yellow cherry tomatoes, garlic and parsley then some pasta water to deglaze the pan. In went the pasta, a little more water and the scallops. The result was delicious -

ACtC-3dBWHkb0dlZFpssxDX63_ct36apszu8VAdxwCDT6QJR1TEu-uayK7iDQFP2wPhoIhdifH02Fxo_xljS8XBwvtUxj4V2fgl_ofviuqsryMNQPd3aoLSYDPYBnrEk6yhCS1QvG_AsLX0pddiWOCkc8Wwf=w493-h657-no

Our chickens lay brown and light blue eggs so they dye up different then store bought, but the end results were very beautiful.

ACtC-3dMPgZFOjIWGZhTILitJoImb8HU68gMtFX_2DYZnQtZIlU1RU0W3YPJBNg0Sgxm3RceadrPc9FGJFuZ9ZGIQ5Cs_YkTDxt57N3iw3SppRtGmky9VNtXBybyL-6bs8CVxjrkMNFVKeH5gR7pbGPfMBio=w876-h657-no

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Love that people still decorate eggs. It's a very fond memory of an activity my mom had us do. Awesome that you have your own to dye.. so much better than just plain white eggs.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
This doesn't really count as a dinner. But here in the USA Whole Foods does Buck-A-Shuck Fridays, all the fresh oyster are only one dollar each.

Picked up 6 Atlantic wellfleets today.

20210409_151600.jpg

Very nice. They were fresh, briny, opened easily even with a clam knife.

20210409_152037.jpg

Quite a satisfying little snack.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It's my opinion that Wellfleet oysters are some of the best I have ever had. Anyway it was 70+ yesterday - (funny to think it was snowing a week ago) so I made an Antipasto salad. Crisp iceberg, roast red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, anchovies, genoa, black forest ham, some mozzarella and shaved sheeps milk pecorino romano. It was quite refreshing -
ACtC-3dZ5pViCo04sWzHs7nwU5y-JlOb-GNFercr7HMorKeaVdaTcWnjvuc5QDUJPUN8H9pOUFToZjscAJKlYA84CcxVcY3wnaJDry8gs65xJQXewPRYkPI6_roQuaWntWvRH3OxucAZu1IrUosMEAZmUsWV=w787-h1049-no

Joined Oct 23, 2008
It was raining just about all day Sunday so I ventured out just enough to grab a few ingredients and set out to make ragu bolognese for the first time. What a great thing it is.. but I jokingly said to a friend it's the Italian grandmothers homemade hamburger helper!

I considered briefly eschewing plans to make homemade pasta but after spending 5 hours on the sauce I went ahead and committed to making fresh tagliatelle and I'm so glad I did. I read it's meant to be a little thinner than fettuccine and in the past I always felt my fresh pasta came off a little gummy.. this was very very good. Perfect bite and a bounce to it that I cannot get with dried pasta but "al dente" is the best way I can describe it. sauce1.jpg sauce2.jpg sauce3.jpg

Top Bottom