What did you have for dinner?

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Nachos are so tasty! And versatile.. during the Superbowl a few weeks back I repurposed some leftover chili I had frozen to make some. What's on your second batch? If I had to guess chorizo, cheddar, and white navy beans?

gameday1.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had four well seasoned and baked chicken thighs left from the other night and some carrots that need to go so chicken pot pie tonight. Onion, celery, carrot, garlic, potato, peas, chicken, thyme, parsley, salt & pepper. The goo puck from the other night and chicken stock/corn starch. I sauteed the veg in the seasoned schmalz from the thighs - oh my is that good tasting fat. I buy my pie crust from Aldi as it's made with lard and I can eat that no problem. The chickens got all the veg trim plus the chicken skin and excess fat and they were in heaven - LOL.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 9, 2019
The usual..?
duck leg confit (f*cked up the skin- my bad)..roasted duck fat potatoes & grilled asparagus..
..looks dry.. but it wasn't.. please pardon my "plating" ;-)
duck spuds asparagusf.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
20210304_101652.jpg

Butter. Olive oil. Garlic. Hot Hungarian Paprika. Green onion. Well toasted garlic bun. And some nice shrimp, 13/16, those 5 in the picture were close to half a pound.

Pickle meat is looking good, you may see shrimp again from me tomorrow, or maybe catfish, in the March challenge.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
My wife had a Zoom at 7pm so I forgot to to take a picture of it. Perfect monkfish tail, my ginger/lime/red cabbage slaw and roasted garlic and rosemary potato puffs. Perfect for a Friday night.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Heirloom chicken from Trader Joes. Just 2.5lb, firm flesh, not bloated like the typical water-pumped engineered birds. Salt-peppered inside and out, sat wrapped overnight and unwrapped to dry for 24. Pan-browned the nice flat underside before ovening. I thought my thermometer was broke, cause pulled it at 150F+ and when I cut in it flowed red! No raw taste though, and obviously didn't die, and great flavor, something just a little different and more concentrated from the ordinary. Dollar a pound asparagus at the market these days and roasted baby Yukons.

Red Blooded American Chicken, it's what's for dinner!

Joined Jan 9, 2019
BBQ/Cedar planked sockeye salmon (frozen-meh) w/ brown sugar & ginger
Oven kalua pig ..wasn't fatty enough & a bit overdone
Swiss chard & calrose rice
House smells wonderful! ;-)
cedar salmon.jpg kalua pig.jpg dinner.jpg

Joined Jan 9, 2019
...at it again..I'll be quiet for a bit.. ;-)
BBQ pork bao buns & (meh- frozen veg spring rolls)
Key to the cha siu pork is definitely fermented red bean curd, maltose..& then your own mix..
New recipe for the bao buns..with 2C flour & 1C corn starch..worked well.
bao buns  spring rolls.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I needed something quick and easy last night so Carbonara came to mind. For two: 4oz. pasta, 4 slices of bacon, 2 eggs + 1 yolk, sheep's milk pecorino romano and black pepper. Folks it doesn't get any simpler than this and as Mr. Food would say - "Oooh so good".

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Didn't feel like tackling the corned beef brisket last night so I went with a packet of ramen. The other night I saw Jacques Pepin make a 6 minute boiled egg and I thought the consistency looked like it would be great for ramen so I did that. Little toasted sesame oil and soy. These are Shin Ramyun brand.. they are quite good for what they are.

ramen.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Nothing special, but it hit the spot. I took a 28oz bag of garden roasted tomato sauce and five home made meatballs out of the freezer and made a very simple, but delicious pasta meal. We each had one meatball and were talking about our DIL's parents who are 7+yrs. older than us and the mother has dementia and the father doesn't cook. I made 5oz of pasta for us and chilled the last ounce before finishing ours in the sauce. I had left the sauce pot on low to reduce while we ate then decided to cook another three ounces of pasta, break up the three remaining meatballs so we could send a meal up the hill. Once the pasta was el dente I quick chilled it so they will have 5oz. of cooked pasta with home made meat sauce for dinner tomorrow. Neighbors looking out for each other. Long story short that's what I made for dinner and why I made it.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Sort of cajun steak day before yesterday, with alioli and some bread. A proper vegetarian meal ;) ;)
(Cow eats grass, I eat steak).

Kao tom (rice soup) yesterday. For dinner, not breakfast.
No pics though. Except for the steak, those are in the monthly challenge thread :)

Joined Nov 5, 2007
The other night I saw Jacques Pepin make a 6 minute boiled egg and I thought the consistency looked like it would be great for ramen so I did that.

In Salt Lake City, at about 4,200 feet above sea level water boils a bit cooler than sea level. I do my ramen eggs for 6 and a half minutes to get them to look like that.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
20210313_165019.jpg

A piece of cod, poached in a butter, white miso, soy sauce broth with scallion. That sauce is very good. I used what is often called Mexican green onion, which has a pretty big bulb on the end.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
@teamfat - That reminds me I'm in the mood for salt cod Baccala. Anyway a friend of mine gave me this "organic, free range" chicken a while back. It's a $500 chicken - and there is a story there so stay tuned. This usually sells for $30 - $40 at a farm store, but to tell the truth it was cooked perfectly, but still stringy like my roosters were. Good for Coq au vin not oven roasted, or BBQ'd. Anyway the flavor was excellent, but the texture - not so much, but will do for pot pie.

I served it with Porcini Risotto which was more tender than the chicken -

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
So now the back story - this friend decided to shill for a local food pantry fund raiser and there were a lot of the new NYC transplants there (thank you Covid-19 . . . NOT!!!), but I digress. Long story short he shills these chickens up to $400+ and they can't stand losing to he pulls back and BAM - $500 chicken. food pantry gets the money - Citiots get the tax write off - win/win situation.

He's got a food truck and I sharpen his knives. He gave me three rabbits, this chicken, a half gallon of mango habanero BBQ sauce and some other odds and ends. At the end of the day it was a win/win on our end too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom