What did you have for dinner?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had 6 chicken thighs to use up so I though about Gumbo, but that morphed into chicken meat balls. Then I thought Gumbo Meatballs, but ended up with Gumbo Meatloaf. I thawed out a half pound of andouille and skinned and boned the thighs. I had cooked bacon the night before, but saved the pan for something and here is it. I diced onion, celery and garlic then wiped out all oil from the pan and sweated my sofrito so as to dissolve and absorb the bacon fond which it did. I blitzed the meats in the food proc then soaked some torn peasant bread in water seasoned with a garlic/pepper blend and dried parsley. Since I'm out of fresh bell peppers I added roasted red peppers to the final mix. Meat(s), sofrito, egg, red peppers and lightly squeezed bread into the bowl, seasoned with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, ground sage, fillet powder and a dash of worcestershire then mix really well. I had to add some seasoned panko as it was loose. I formed it on parchment on a sheet pan then brushed some kicked up ketchup and covered with bacon. Baked at 350 for @1.5hrs. This is some of the best tasting meatloaf I've made in a long time. I can't wait to make sandwiches out of it.

What goes better with meatloaf than a "cowboy hashbrown"? Simply pealed golds, grated, soaked and squeezed then salt & pepper and into a hot, skillet oiled with "butter schmaltz" turned once.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Sometimes you just get a fantastic piece(s) of meat, who knows why, other than the animals themselves just accidentally did everything right. This time it was chicken thighs. God but they were just so tasty.

I salt my chicken pieces, wrap and fridge overnight, then I racked them for at least 12 hours. pan sear the skin side medium high heat till near fully crisp, flip and get the other side good and started, finish in oven pan (arrange closely in appropriate sized pan) in 400-410F oven, doesn't take long, have yourself a fast-read thermometer so there's no guessing. 425 oven might work also, but 450 is too high, your skin will pick up a burnt flavor. Done this way you will have a bit of nice thick juice and no burning.

Joined May 4, 2005
I made lasagna with fresh pasta sheets. From start to oven in 1 hour (baby woke up early). It was very good. Mushroom tomato sauce, a nice garlicky ricotta. I give it a 10!

PXL_20210204_015607087.jpg

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Some big asparagus trimmed, peeled, and vacuum packed for sous-vide later. Doing picanha on the rotisserie with roasted potatoes and the asparagus and some dinner rolls I managed to bake this morning without disaster.

asparagusvac.jpg

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Some big asparagus trimmed, peeled, and vacuum packed for sous-vide later. Doing picanha on the rotisserie with roasted potatoes and the asparagus and some dinner rolls I managed to bake this morning without disaster.
lets see that Picanha!

Joined Oct 23, 2008
@jaymer looks great. All of my previous ones were done sous vide and finished with cast iron. I think your setup with the coals would be better since this cut handles the fire so well.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had to go shopping today and picked up a boneless sirloin steak @ 1.5" thick along with the usual suspects. I sliced the skin off of a russet to square it up a bit then sliced that into 1/4" fries that went into cold water for a soak. Meanwhile I bagged the steak along with salt, pepper, smashed garlic, thyme and a glug of evoo. I set Joule to 128F and the timer for 1.25hrs. I made a blue cheese dressing (soy free) with blue cheese (duh), butter milk, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, vinegar and roasted garlic powder. Rinsed some chopped iceberg then dropped the steak into the pot. In that time the fries came out, dried between two towels then on to a sheet pan to finish drying at 250F in the oven. Then they got tossed with evoo and cranked the oven up to 375. Everything was going good . . . time for a beverage. The meat was done, the oven got bumped up to 425, the fries turned, the steak went into a ripping hot cast iron along with a butter/garlic/thyme baste and then like magic - everything came together.

Absolutely perfection on the steak, the crunchy potatoes and the salad dressing. Sadly no room for dessert which has been a brownie on a strawberry coulis with fresh whipped cream on top.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I wish fast food places would cook their fries long enough to get some color on them. I'm always so disappointed with what I get the few times I order fries.

mjb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom