What did you have for dinner?

Joined Dec 30, 2020
Continuing on the talk about recreating meals we miss from a time when we could visit places. We created a Chinese meal of black bean tofu with rice, wontons, wonton soup, and baby bok choy.

View attachment 69470

Yeah, I've been making a lot of Asian dishes lately. Most of which do not have nice pictures... Unfortunately, even if restaurants were open, I live in a pretty rural area where most of the culture is pizza, steaks, burgers and pasties. There is one decent Chinese place, a few Mexican places and maybe a Thai Express (if it were to open up) that are close by. Anything else is at least an hour away!

Fortunately, my wife's from Syria, and can cook a lot of traditional dishes.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It was cold yesterday so I made a pot of greens - collards and mustard. Start with bacon add mirepoix then sliced greens, season and a splash of water now and then and finish with a little vinegar. I was wondering what to have with them then thought "catfish what else?". I went to the store and the catfish was $8/lb and swai was $4.5/lb so I go that. I had a half of a cooked potato that I skinned and cut for fries. The fish was crunchy and delicious and the greens - well they're always good.

Joined Jan 11, 2021
Made a couple new york strips on the grill. Found some nice ones with good marbling. Lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. Then lightly dusted with garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Important step is to make sure the sides are seasoned to. Cooked for a few minutes. Flipped. As soon as temp it 140 I pulled them. Fresh grated Asiago directly over the dish and garnished with parsley flakes for color. I don't even remember the sides that were made. Were some of the best steaks I ever made. That buttery and tender soft texture and flavor is making my stomach growl just thinking of it. It's 12:39am here...but I think I'm going to run back to my kitchen and make something quick. Reading all these Chef posts is piquing that appetite. Good luck and stay tasty.

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Rancho Gordo Cassoulet (Tarbais) Beans from the last bean of the month offering. Never had them and they were delish - soft & creamy. Would buy those again! 7240277D-EE7C-4977-B208-E64207C57544.jpeg

Joined Nov 2, 2016
Tried out Chicken au Vinaigre....but the rice I used as a side slipped just past the point I wanted, and sauce was *just* a bit loose for me. Back to the drawing board on this one.

Joined Aug 20, 2010
It was lunch, but hey! Who cares? I made some tagliatelle/pappardelle (maybe somewhere inbetween) and the classic Bolognese ragù. I fried about 1/4 kg chopped unsmoked pancetta, then sautéed chopped onion, celery and carrot, seared about 1/2 kg chopped beef neck, then a tablespoon of tomato paste, a glass of white wine and finally a large glass of milk, and left all that to slowly simmer for three hours.

Joined Aug 20, 2010
A Hungarian classic today, called Hortobágyi palacsinta, which is savoury crepes stuffed with chicken in a creamy paprika sauce, cooked au gratin. Some simple cucumber salad to go with it.

IMG_20210115_144612.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made two pots of soup yesterday. One was Cioppino with squid, clams and shrimp for dinner and the other was potato leek for tonight. I like to rest soups like that.

The ciopinno was delicious - leek, fennel, garlic, tomato paste, white wine, garden tomato sauce and shrimp stock, thyme and bay.

The potato leek for tonight will get blitzed with some heavy cream. Leek, onion, garlic, white wine, turkey bone broth, golds, thyme and bay.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
Boneless Chuck is $2.99/lb this week so I bought one @ 2.5lbs then trimmed it up and ran it through the grinder. Oklahoma Onion Burgers tonight. Man these are really tasty too.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Yesterday was a clean out the fridge day. A leftover burger, some sliced onion, half a green pepper, a couple of tomatoes, half a carrot, a pint of beef stock . . . you get the picture. Add a few more stragglers and one can end up with a very tasty pasta sauce. It was very beefy tasting and quite delicious.

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Made a couple of meals on the weekend of which I am very proud:
Saturday Night - A Trio of Troisgros Classics: Salmon and Sorrel, Julienne of Cucumbers in Cream, and Marinated Oranges with Candied Zest for Dessert:
PXL_20210124_042709534.jpg
PXL_20210124_045751417.jpg
Last night, Casual Sunday Steak Salad - Hanger Steak Marinated in Red Wine and Grilled over Grapevine Cuttings with a Salad of Mesclun Greens Tossed with Chopped Shallots, Fine Herbs, and a Red Wine Vinaigrette (Oops, forgot to take a photo.)

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Breakfast for dinner.

20210126_102828.jpg

Had a hunk of leftover ribeye, did a beef and potato hash with chili and onion, smothered in cheese with eggs on top. Seasoned with togarashi. Pretty good.

mjb.

Joined Aug 20, 2010
The other day I made some orecchiette by hand and tossed them with sautéed white radish greens and just loved it to bits. Two observations:
1. Never, absolutely never throw away radish/turnip/beetroot or any other similar greens. They are a-ma-zing as pasta condiment (olive oil + garlic + crushed red pepper).
2. Making pasta by hand is the best cooking therapy ever and we all need some of that in these difficult times. So give it a go!

The radishes themselves should work well on another day as a gratin, made with a touch of garlic, some cream, maybe some country ham and some herbs (try dried savoury). This could accompany roast chicken (or other stories, perhaps, haha).

Last edited:
Joined May 4, 2005
Boneless Chuck is $2.99/lb this week so I bought one @ 2.5lbs then trimmed it up and ran it through the grinder. Oklahoma Onion Burgers tonight. Man these are really tasty too.

I saw your post and ended up making these that night. I even made the buns, to avoid the trip to the store. I used cheddar, but american would've been really good and goopy.

Joined May 4, 2005
I made stuffed shells! Ricotta with parsley, basil and spinach, mozz ricotta, parm, egg, garlic. Sauce had chunks of mushroom in it. Under the broiler after about 30 mins in the oven. So tasty.

PXL_20210127_212313000.jpg

Top Bottom